Introduction

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
NeilC

Introduction

Post by NeilC »

First, an introduction: I am a first year student in the gunsmithing program at Montgomery Community College in Troy, NC. This will be a second career. My background used to be in electronics/installations and some sales. I am a naturalized citizen and have been in the USA since 1997. My country of birth is South Africa.

I recently acquired a Fox CE grade in 12 ga. It was manufactured in 1920/21. It is not perfect but I will be using this for some of the projects I have to do at school. So far, I have identified the following issues:
I will need a new stock and fore end wood. The original wood had been refinished and there is almost no checkering left. The wood also does not fit flush with metal surfaces.
One of the springs in the selectable trigger mechanism is missing.
One of the sears was repaired (poorly) and the second one is not functioning correctly. This might be due to the trigger mechanism not working correctly.
The barrels were cut down to 25". The cut is also not square.
The left barrel sounds like it is loose. Not bad yet, but it will have to be redone.

Still, got this for a really good deal.

On to the pictures:

A few more pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/110116751572522828873/Fox#

One question I do have at this time:
I thought the stamped G would refer to the grade. Yet, from all I could see, this is a CE grade and all the other stampings confirms this. Is this normal?
Neil
Student gunsmith
http://guns.claasen.us/
waterman

Re: Introduction

Post by waterman »

Like to see some close up pic of that single trigger. Like to see some pic after. Good luck with her.. Donnie
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

#26??? what serial # is on the barrels and forend? Id like to see some pics of the underside of the forend as well. Neat!
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Neil, welcome to the forum. I hope I'm wrong but it looks like the last three digits of the serial number were removed from the frame. It's hard to tell without a magnifier but it seems there are some imperfections on the frame bar in that area. If so, you may want to check on the legalities. Also, looks like the C stamp was changed into a G with a tiny punch; the crossbar on the G doesn't look "square". How about the numbers and letter stamp on the bottom of the barrels? How do you know this is a 1920-21 Fox? Silvers
NeilC

Post by NeilC »

Thanks everyone. Looks like my photoshop skills are not too bad. I removed the last 3 digits from the serial number in the pictures as they were also posted to other forums. The full serial number is 26454. All the numbers match on other parts of this shotgun. Even the stock. I have not yet but do intend to join AHFCA and send of a letter verifying the original build specification.
Neil
Student gunsmith
NeilC

Post by NeilC »

I will also try to take some more pictures this week showing how the stock mates to the frame.
Neil
Student gunsmith
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

IMO, not a good way to start out here. It would have been better to let people know you obliterated the last digits, and to refrain from altering the grade stamp. Otherwise ya got guys like me spending/wasting time replying to a spoofed up post. OK, so now I'm gonna tell ya, your pics show one more issue on that Fox. And I'm not trying to spoof you. :wink: Silvers
NeilC

Post by NeilC »

Silvers wrote:IMO, not a good way to start out here. It would have been better to let people know you obliterated the last digits, and to refrain from altering the grade stamp. Otherwise ya got guys like me spending/wasting time replying to a spoofed up post. OK, so now I'm gonna tell ya, your pics show one more issue on that Fox. And I'm not trying to spoof you. :wink: Silvers
My apologies, it was not my intention to cause confusion with the serial number and yes, I probably should have stated that. :oops: The only alterations I did on the pictures was to remove the last 3 numbers from the applicable picture. The serial numbers on all the pieces match and the grade stamp is a "C" on all of them except for the frame. And I would really like to know what the other issue is.
Neil
Student gunsmith
mike campbell

Post by mike campbell »

Looks as though it may haves some ejector issues. Are both guide pins there? Looks like some significant galling on the ejector lump that protrudes from the frame knuckle in your last pic.
Beware the man with one gun...he likely will bore you to death in others ways, too.