Unusual Sterlingworth

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
huntermn

Unusual Sterlingworth

Post by huntermn »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntermn/6217178417/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntermn/6217178385/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntermn/6217698290/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntermn/6217698370/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntermn/6217178449/

The photos are of the 16 Ga. Sterlingworth that I just purchased. I have ordered a letter from Mr. Callahan today, as I just recieved the gun today, and saw it in person for the first time.

1919 Sterlingworth, 28" IC/Improved, Chambers measure 2 9/16th's, double trigger, extractor. I can see no barrel weights stamped on the tubes, but the FOX PROOF stamp and the serial numbers are clear on the barrel flats. Serial Number 354812 on the Water Table, Forend Iron and Barrels, Serial Number 345812 (note that the numbers are the same with the second two digits transposed) on the LONG Tang. The Tang has the correct border engraving, but transitions to a finely rolled edge with no engraving on the trigger guard. I have bought and sold a LOT of guns over the years, and am convinced that the case colors and bluing are original, and in about 98% condition. SO, the highly figured straight hand stock, long tang, graded gun style checkering, have me thrown for a loop! As you can see, engraving, roll stamps etc look factory sharp. Barrels chime out perfectly, and the gun weighs just a hair under 6lbs. The butt appears to be vintage leather covered silvers. Have any of you experienced collectors run into a gun like this? Wondering if it might be an employee gun?? Extreme Lunch Box?

If it is a redone gun, It was done some good time ago, and then stored and very seldom shot. In any event it is an astoundingly pretty gun...and at 15" pull to the front trigger, fits me like a glove. I realize some of the mystery might be cleared up by the Factory Letter, but I understnd that regarding Sterlingworths, that the information is often sparse.

BTW, this is a terrific site, and I will be joining post haste...as I am an instant devote' of these terrific guns.
huntermn

Re: Unusual Sterlingworth

Post by huntermn »

I added a few more photos of the gun to the Flickr photo stream....agaon any information or comments welcomed!
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

You have a very pretty gun. In my opinion the case colors and the blue have been redone, they are not factory. The stock and pad look beautiful but again I believe they are custom. The gun appears to be a very well done restoration/upgrade. Enjoy it and thanks for your support of the AHFCA, Craig
huntermn

Post by huntermn »

Thanks for your input, I am sure that you are correct. I know for fairly certain that if the gun was re-done it had to be prior to the 1950's, given the history that is known of the gun. Interestingly, the gun has been stored for as long as the last owners know in a Manton and Co, hard canvas and leather case built for a gun of this exact dimensions. The case is built for an assembled gun, and the exterior shows absolutely honest wear for a case that was made in 1920. But the inside is in very good condition, and the impression marks match the gun precisely. AND, the case would not accomodate a pistol grip gun. The mystery thickens!

Whomever did redo the gun if that is the case, were very talented. Cannot wiat to get the factory letter and see if it sheds any light on this piece...

In the meantime...its going to be put to righteous use bagging some south texas doves. My go -to elsie .410 is going to get some much needed rest!

Thanks again...
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I aint for a New York minute believing that work was done a long time ago. That is the Galazan rolled edge straight grip trigger guard (catalogue item number PH192 $90.00), the same one they used on their RBLs. Whoever did the engraving on it transposed the two digits. IMO the stockwork and checkering look pretty nice, but the metalwork leaves a lot to be desired. Buffed and rounded off edges leaving a poor fit to the triggerplate, poorly fit triggerplate screw and poorly fit screws in the trigger guard backstrap.
Share the knowledge
huntermn

Post by huntermn »

Thanks researcher, that's the experience I need in order to learn about these guns. It must have been really clean to start with, as metal finishing did little to damage original stampings and engravings. The barrels are also completely ripple free, and bores perfect.

Still be interesting to see the letter and compare.

As I said, plan on shooting the he'll out of it, so "almost" glad its not a treasure!!

I'm not sure I have ever handled a shotgun that "felt" this good. Anyway, I traded a shot out browning superposed 20 even for it, so I'm happy either way.

Found a salesmans sample 12 gauge today with a five digit number, that had the cut outs patched. Trying to trade for it to add number two to what I suspect will become yet another addictive hobby!

Thanks again all.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

We want to see pictures of the salesman's sample, on a separate thread.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Back when McIntosh was working on the FBITW, a gentleman sent me photos of a salesmans sample cut away that had the openings filled. I'll have to search around and see if I can find them. It was 7531.
Share the knowledge
huntermn

Post by huntermn »

I am trying hard to downplay the gun a little with the current owner...working on a fair trade, he sees it as a non-shooter wallhanger (probably right), it may tiake a couple of weeks to get it back in my hands, and I will definitely supply pics then...It was a 5 digit serial, starting with 5..had 30" Krupp barrels, original buttplate...plain wood, A grade checkering, with semi pistol grip...there had been three inlays in the non cheek side of the stock...an ivory rabbit, and a masonic looking star with a center abalone inlay and one that is difficult to describe., all crudely done. Barrel blue was maybe 60%, colors (if there were any to start with) are gone. when i get my hands on it i will share...

Any thoughts on what the most is i should pay for something like that?