buttplate pictures

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
studdog

buttplate pictures

Post by studdog »

Anyone direct me to Fox buttplate pics, SW and or graded guns? Did search butt not much there. George
Researcher

Re: buttplate pictures

Post by Researcher »

Butt plates are butt plates from a Sterlingworth to an FE-Grade, all the same. On early plates the screw holes were plain (far left), later plates had a ring around each screw hole.

I have noted one card that asked for a horn butt plate and grip cap, and of course from time to time someone would order the extra cost skeleton steel butt plate.
Share the knowledge
studdog

Post by studdog »

Thanks very much. My SW has a non stock buttplate. I suspect it was restocked in the rear without a grip cap. I think the forend slpinter is stock. With these guns being 90 years old it's hard for them to be original. I can hardly wait to see the factory records for both this SW as well as the XE I just acquired. Thanks for your help. George
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Fellas, when do we think they switched from the "ringless" to the "ringed" buttplate???....I've never gotten a good handle on that.

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Just an update, here's a "ringless" buttplate from the Savage era. IME most of the A H Fox/Utica buttplates have the ring but once in a while you'll see one that's original and ringless. This one on a nice 20b Utica Sterly that came by last week. And as I recall, it was Mountain Mike who picked up a 16b Utica Sterly last year, that has a ringless buttplate. Silvers

ylwdog

Post by ylwdog »

I think both were used during all production. I have a early SW #51533 probably 1910 with a Ringed buttplate a CE 12 #26655 1921 (Ringed) and a 1936 A grade 16 #303581 with a non ringed plate. Perhaps they were supplied by different companies or the first in last out of the bin, as was the norm for Winchester was the reason.
jb