Closing a Double Gun

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Jay

Closing a Double Gun

Post by Jay »

On another board there is a discussion about the proper way to close a double gun. The consensus seems to be that the gun should be closed, not slammed, so that the locking mechanism seats firmly, with a snap. Easing the top lever into position seems to be frowned upon. Most of the discussion refers to the double under lug locking mechanism. How should the Fox gun be closed? Thanks. Jay
Researcher

Re: Closing a Double Gun

Post by Researcher »

That is an endless argument. My Father, who shot Remington and Parker Bros. doubles was a firm believer in holding the top-lever over, closing the gun and easing the bolts into place. Both Elmer Keith in his writings and some of Tony's gunmakers have told me that a rotary bolted gun should be snapped shut to seat properly. I'm so conflicted!!!
Share the knowledge
mike campbell

Post by mike campbell »

If I'm admiring your gun, I open it (if it isn't already) when you hand it to me. When I close it to shoulder it, I respectfully hold the lever and ease it closed. When I'm about to hand it back, I open it again. If if it's your gun I'm about to shoot, I follow the same procedure I use for my own. When I load it, I close it slowly but let the lever, bolt and spring work as they were designed to.
Clearly, there are different schools of thought on how to operate a $500-5,000 dollar gun, which covers the vast majority of them. I wonder how many people hold the button in when they close the door on their $50,000 automobile?
Beware the man with one gun...he likely will bore you to death in others ways, too.
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Very timely post. I am of the school that was taught to ease the gun closed. I cringed this weekend (LITERALLY CRINGED) when I saw a few fellas snapping/slamming their 80-90 year old Foxes closed. I suppose the metal can take it but I worry about that old wood at the head of the stock and that thin thin wood up in those ejector forends. Maybe it's ok but I just see absolutely NO reason for it....for what????

You should have really seen me cringe when I let a fella shoot my gun and it was slammed 4 or 5 times in a row. yuck.

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
APS

Post by APS »

Slamming a gun closed versus closing to allow the lock up to be correct are two different things. A proper method I have seen involves placing your trigger hand under the buttstock and pulling up allowing for some leverage whils still closing properly.

The guns were made to handle proper use and not allowing the lock up to be as the maker designed it to be by easing the gun closed can result in problems over time.

Al
Alan Smith
spyder

Post by spyder »

I have always closed my Foxes by the "thumb shock absorber" method, for lack of a better term, without consequence. However, I have a modern Beretta target gun that sometimes pops open after a shot if I don't let it snap shut. It has a U-bolt mechanism vs. the Fox rotary bolt.
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

Add me to the "easer closed" club.

Mike
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I'm pretty gentle when closing guns that are not loaded. When a gun is loaded and to be fired, I'm still gentle but let them snap a little after releasing my thumb from the lever. There is no reason to let an unloaded gun snap shut.
2X2

Post by 2X2 »

A Fox was probably McIntosch's favorite. He was a firm believer in easing the lever back. Do you remember Dez and 'Hunting with Dash'? He would snap close and his FIL would ease the lever back.
Some guns I have, the lever will easily go all the way back to it's normal stop position, so I ease those back. The others, I gently close the gun and let it snap.

What do you think of the method of closing the gun and sliding the thumb off the lever to let it snap back to it's stop?
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Dez didn't know a shotgun from a leash. However, your idea about letting a lever snap back "gently" is what I was suggesting. It is the way a real shotgun person would treat his gun. Great post.
steve matson

Post by steve matson »

What a great website ! I'm sitting here laughing . The "proper closure" was ONE of MY very first questions . Me thinks we will be continuing to use the "pushing the lever " technique .
The car door button reference is a great one too . I have an old restored automobile and the worst part of taking anyone for a ride is when it comes time for them to shut the door upon exiting .
My wife still remembers "her" very first ride and then getting yelled at for "slamming the door" .
I dont let her anywhere near my guns !
I'll have to get the camera hooked up and post some pictures .
This is a great site !
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Now you've done it, Steve. Can you post a picture of your car? We don't just like guns.