Fox A sixteen - new to me

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
AmarilloMike

Fox A sixteen - new to me

Post by AmarilloMike »

Bought this gun in early February. I just got it back from the gunsmith. It needed a new buttplate and the trigger plate was loose.It has 26" barrels and I was afraid they were cut. I got a card from the AHFCA and they were original. It only took a couple of hours to get the factory card (image) after I made the request. An amazing service. I got it to hunt Bobwhites. I wouldn't have taken the risk of buying the gun if I didn't know the 26" barrel were original and it probably would have been gone if we had to do the snail mail thing.

16 gauge, 5lbs 9oz, 1-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 14-1/4, 26" barrels, nice triggers, lever way to the right, great balance, choked 8 and 19. In my mind those dimensions define the archetype for all Bobwhite guns. Lively and easy to carry. Mr. Fox made some NICE bird guns.

I went out to the birdlease the day after I got it. Took this hen with the gun. The picture is by my shooting student Joe Wood.

These rather poor pictures are by me:

For the AHFCA members experiencing dejavu I posted these same pictures in the member's only section last month.

Best,

Mike
Never trust a dog to guard your food.
Twice Barrel

Re: Fox A sixteen - new to me

Post by Twice Barrel »

Mike those old A and AE grades are great gun. Mine is in a skeet configuration with Beaver Tail forend and single trigger and hit the scales at a tad more than 6 1/4 lbs.

I notice your trigger plate isn't fully seated. Have you pulled it off to see if the set screw on the sear axel is fully seated. I didn't get mine fully seated once and it drove me crazy for two months trying to figure out why the tigger plate wasn't seating properly.
Last edited by Twice Barrel on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmarilloMike

Post by AmarilloMike »

I just got the gun back from the gunsmith. Along with the trigger plate he put a new reproduction buttplate on. I took those pictures before I sent it.

Your skeet gun sounds like a great gun - and very light. Would like to see a picture if you have one handy.

Thanks,

Mike
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

I have only hunted wild quail twice, but from my limited experience your A 16ga is the perfect gun. I like to see the old guns in used but not abused condition. Congratulations, nice find.
I am glad our look up service helped that is nice to hear. Craig
bamboozler

Post by bamboozler »

Nice gun, Mike.

Twice Barrel, would you please explain more about that set screw, where it is, etc.?

TIA,
Bamboozler
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Looks like a sweetheart, Mike, with lots of honest "patina" - just the way I like 'em. Bet she's got some tales to tell! Shoot her in good health.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

bamboozler wrote:Nice gun, Mike.

Twice Barrel, would you please explain more about that set screw, where it is, etc.?

TIA,
Bamboozler
I corrected my post. Actually I was refering to the set scew that locks in the sear axel.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Nice bird gun to actually use. Great piece of fiddleback in the stock. I've got a 1933 vintage A-Grade 16-gauge with similar wood. Wish we had more Bobwhites here in Washington. Twice while out Dove shooting I've had good looks at Bobwhite coveys, but have never run onto one when Quail season is in!! Just thes running, hill climbing, top-knotted little guys --

Share the knowledge
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

Mike, looks to be a real peach of a hunting gun, just don't go whacking the dogs (or Joe) over the head with it when they don't perform as expected. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

AmarilloMike wrote:I just got the gun back from the gunsmith. Along with the trigger plate he put a new reproduction buttplate on. I took those pictures before I sent it.

Your skeet gun sounds like a great gun - and very light. Would like to see a picture if you have one handy.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike here are a couple of mine.

Top one is a 1930 vintage 16 gauge Sterlingworth Trap with a somewhat scrunched Jostam Anti-flinch pad
Bottom is 1935 vintage AE with Kautzke single trigger in the rear position Bradly bead and Jostam Anti-flinch pad.

My Quail and Prairie Grouse gun is a plain Jane 16 gauge 1934 vintage Sterlingworth Brush
2X2

Post by 2X2 »

OK, clue me in here. Those barrels don't meet at the muzzle. I have had Berettas that were uncut and didn't meet. Do Foxes always meet? Are Fox barrels EXACTLY cut on the inch mark?
I have a couple of old Ithacas cut exactly on the 30" mark and the muzzles meet. My two Stevens 5100s; one is 27 1/16" the other 29 7/8"
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

No Fox barrels, especially the shorter ones, seldom meet and as far as the barrels being cut to exact length I would have to say that was not a priority for Fox. I have several that measure from 1/32s to 3/32d longer than advertised but none that are shorter.
2X2

Post by 2X2 »

Thanks TB. I have a 16 Sterly that measures, I think it was 27 15/16.
AmarilloMike

Post by AmarilloMike »

Thanks Craig. And maybe we can get together some time and take our Foxes Bobwhite hunting. And thanks to you and Dave and the other members that look up, copy, and email the cards to us slackers.

Fin this one has a little more "patina" than my ideal but EVERYTHING is original except the buttplate. The barrels have had cold blue put on some small spots but I didn't worry much when I took it out to the birdlease.

Dave are those huns? Chukars? I have never hunted wild chukars. I have the twin to your dog, mine is named Beau. He is retired now. I used the beeper collars until last season and got the GPS trackers. They work great. Those small tailless dogs are hard to see when they stop moving. Straight grip 20?

And Mike while Joe is very hard-headed the dogs are very biddable.

Twicebarrel those are very very nice and scarce guns. Thanks for the pictures.

Best,

Mike