low pressure load problems

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Gretagrouse

low pressure load problems

Post by Gretagrouse »

Hi All,
I finally picked up my first Fox at the Great Northern SxS shoot this summer from Classic Gunstocks in New York. I've been trying to work up low pressure loads for it ,but everytime I think I've found a winner, I'm rewarded with a sticky action. The loads have ranged from 4700psi -6600psi. Using either IMR7625 or Clays. These loads have come off of IMR's website and are for 2 3/4" chambers which is what my gun has. I have to bump the barrels to open it, and instead of worrying about damaging the gun and pulling whats left of my hair out, I'll turn to people who have alot more experience with Foxes. HELP!!!! I'm at the end of my rope!!!

Tim
ASavageFox

Re: low pressure load problems

Post by ASavageFox »

My guess is your loads have very little to do with your open/close issue....just my guess though....let me rephrase that... it is not the pressure of the load that is the issue...

is it an ejector gun?

Does it only stick after both barrels have been fired, one barrel, fired over snap caps?

If you open the gun, let go of the lever, and look down where the rib extension goes, does the end of the rotary bolt stick out?

I'm no pro here at all and FAR from a gunsmith... but think this info would likely help someone more experienced then me...

guessing your problem is likely to do with the firing pins (attached to the hammers) ""sticking" the primers or that your rotary bolt is just out of alignment. If its an ejector gun, that adds a whole other set of possibilities. No matter, I would feel confident saying your problem has nothing to do with the pressure of your load if its doing it at 4700 PSI...

Have you tried just giving the entire gun a good cleaning and lubricating? Taking the stock off is really pretty easy if you have the correct tools and gives decent access to pretty much all of the moving part...
Cheers!
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Try using a Remington sts primers, they seem to be softer and the firing pin does not seem to drag on them on open. Craig
Gretagrouse

Post by Gretagrouse »

Hi All,
It usually hangs when one is fired. But on occasion when both barrels are fired. I have tried Rem. and Win. primers and it doesn't seem to make a difference as to which primer I use. A buddy of mine suggested that maybe the firing pins had been replaced and were a touch longer than they should be. I did notice on one spent round that there appeared to be a drag mark left by the firing

Tim pin.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

If you've used Rem primers and the gun is still sticky, the hammer tip protrusion is too long or, more likely, the hammer cocking needs to be adjusted to make the hammers start to cock earlier in the opening cycle. Foxes do not use separate firing pins; the hammer tip is the actual firing pin. Drag marks on the primers are typical with Foxes but when they are very deep it's an indication of one or both of the problems detailed here.

A protruding bolt can also cause this problem. To confirm or deny, try holding the lever all the way to the right wnen the gun is opened after firing.

Just as an aside, Winchester primers are the worst I've used in this regard. Since I load almost exclusively for Foxes, I traded and sold off my entire inventory. Silvers
Aan
Gretagrouse

Post by Gretagrouse »

Thanks Silvers
Gretagrouse

Post by Gretagrouse »

Forgot to add also that I've been shooting RST ammo through it and it has never been sticky to open. I'm using there 2 3/4" Lites.

Tim
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Tim, if the gun isn't sticky to open with RST's it should open easily with equivalent pressure reloads using Remington primers. RST Alex told me their 12 gauge Lites in 1 ounce are loaded to 1150 fps @ 6200 psi as measured by modern transducer technology. Silvers
Marcus R

Post by Marcus R »

Hi Tim

What hulls are you using for your reloads? Perhaps the "brass" is steel and is expanding in the chamber. A slightly undersized chamber could aggravate the steel "brass" issue as well.

Cheers
Marcus
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

GrettaGrouse,

Had similar "sticky" situation with a Fox and a Wm.Powell pigeon gun. Try a AA hull with a Remington STS primer. Worked wonders for me. PM me and I'll give you my special 28G, FITASC load, one that Richard Faulds wrote down for me, on our last sortie to SouthDown.----TOOLMAN
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Gretagrouse

Post by Gretagrouse »

Hi All,
Thanks for the replys. I've been trying my reloading with Win AA hulls and Rem STS. They both seem to cause the gun to "hang up". I've tried a 6600psi load and had the same sticky results.

Thanks again,
Tim
APS

Post by APS »

Have you had the gun stripped and cleaned? Especially after a restock and/or many years of service you can only imagine what is in the action.

Have a good gunsmith give it a look.

al
Alan Smith