Safety Problem

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Foxhound

Safety Problem

Post by Foxhound »

The safety on my Sterlingworth 12ga. ejector gun has a problem. Wth the gun cocked, pulling the rear trigger moves the safety button forward and drops the hammer. The safety is then off and allows the front trigger to be pulled. Any ideas? Gun will most likely be sent to PGS for repairs but I would like to have an idea of what is wrong.
ASavageFox

Re: Safety Problem

Post by ASavageFox »

Take the stock off and then reinstall the sears and triggers... You should be able to see pretty clearly at that point. My guess is the little ears on your triggers have been messed with at some point. Could have been replacement triggers or possible warn but would not seem likely. I'm no smith and this is just my guess based on thinking about how this could happen without a gu. Taken apart in front of me.

Does your safety otherwise slide VERY easily? Could just be missing the spring that helps hold pressure on it?

Good luck.
Cheers!
Foxhound

Post by Foxhound »

Safety works with the same feel as my other Foxes. Trigger pulls are both good.
ASavageFox

Post by ASavageFox »

does it only do it when cocked?

Not sure why that would be but thought it might be worth checking...

if the top of the trigger was messed with (i.e. filed to not be flat) it would not effect the trigger pulls as that area is simply there to engage the safety from what I can tell...surprised no one here with more experience then me as spoke up...

personally I would take it to a smith...
Cheers!
Foxhound

Post by Foxhound »

The safety slips off when the gun is not cocked and the rear trigger is pulled. I'll call PGS and talk to them.