Photo's of Ansley

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
sinned

Photo's of Ansley

Post by sinned »

Anyone have or know of photo's of Ansley Fox they could share with me? I only have the one in Mcintosh's book . Any help appreciated. Thanks, Dennis
Researcher

Re: Photo's of Ansley

Post by Researcher »

If you are a member of the A.H. Fox Collectors Association, I've published a couple of pictures of Ansley in the newsletters.
Share the knowledge
sinned

Post by sinned »

Those being the Fall '09 issue, I take it. I can't tell much from them. I recently purchased an interesting picture of posed shooters of gunclub. One of them looks very much or at least strongly resembles Mr. Fox. All have sxs's but the man I think is he has his gun in a leg-o-mutton case. At least two pin guns either Parker or Foxes, I can't tell. I'll try to get you a close up of the man and see what you think. May take me a day or two. Thanks, Dennis
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The only two pictures of Ansley with a gun that I've found are him shooting his Winchester Model 1897 at the 1901 GAH (used with Steve Cambria's bio in the first issue) and the group picture of all the shooters who went 25 straight at the 1901 GAH where he is kneeling with his Model 1897. Also, a picture of Ansley in a top hat from 1898 when he won the Championship trophy at Baltimore's Monumental Shooting Park, in the second edition of the newsletter.
Share the knowledge
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

Sinned,

Would love to see that photo. Hopefully you can post for all to examine. As Dave said, for a fellow that ran with the top guns on the live bird circuit ( at least for 12-18 months) damn few pics exist, of our entrepreneurial founder.-----TOOL
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
sidreilley

Post by sidreilley »

Frankly, my hat's off to anyone who can shoot a 97 Winchester well :wink:

Regards,
Regards,
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

He was probably a bit better with a Parker. Maybe Dave can tell us how long he shot each gun.
sinned

Post by sinned »

I apologize for the wait on the pic but I am waiting on my son to forward the picture. The picture is of 20+ men posed with their sxs's except for the one I'm betting is ol Ansley, his is in a case and definitely IMO not a 97 Win. The down side is, without good photos of him to compare, my best guess will be only that.
sinned

Post by sinned »

Here are the pictures. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Dennis
Attachments
DSC_0488.jpg
DSC_0488.jpg (117.03 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
DSC_0487.jpg
DSC_0487.jpg (122.63 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
DSC_0483.jpg
DSC_0483.jpg (137.03 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

....great picture for sure! Thanks for posting it here.

It seems to me there are some similarities but if I was viewing a lineup I think I have my doubts...fwiw.

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Nice picture, but I don't think that is Ansley.
Share the knowledge
loggy

Post by loggy »

I hope those guns were not loaded. Perhaps the shooters were? Nice photo. Thanks
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

All big guns and all hammerless from what I can tell. Sitting on sand, maybe New Jersey or Long Island circa 1900??? Looks like more Elsies than boxlocks.
sinned

Post by sinned »

One hammer gun, 3rd from the left, front. I tried taking the picture out of the matte as it was put in a matte that didn't quite fit and had a bubble. The idiot glued it to the backing so I won't be able to get the bubble out but I'm going to take it to a professional and see if it can be somewhat restored. The local opinions of a few of my buddies is about 50-50. Some say not, some say definitely, to anywhere inbetween. Personally I'd bet it is but I'd only bet what I could afford to lose and that ain't much. Dennis
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Do you have any clue where the pic was taken and/or when????
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty