32" sterlingworths??

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Northern Bob

Re: 32" sterlingworths??

Post by Northern Bob »

The Sterlingworth that I posted about above showed up. #64,202 has matching numbers and 32" barrels. Perhaps they went to the 0 in the hundredth spot between this and my #66,007 ejector.The stock has a 13 3/4" LOP from the front trigger to the end of the wood at the center of the butt and a Pachmayr white line recoil pad, so I assume it has been cut. The forend checkering is almost worn or sanded off and it has seen some shooting. Still tight with the lever centered. There's an internal stock head crack that will have to be fixed before I take it out. Someone has taken the safety push rod out which is how I like it. I was amazed when I put it on the scale and it read 7lbs 14oz.. The balance and handling of these 32" Foxes make them seem much lighter. There isn't any barrel weight number stamped on them. I'm looking forward to getting it out to the range and doing some hunting with it this fall.
ASavageFox

Post by ASavageFox »

Bob, What did just the barrels weight? What makes you say that you think the stock has been cut? With a replacement butt plate it would likely be between 14-14 1/4" That sure seems like it could be a normal factory length.

Congrats, hope to see some pics of it on successful hunting trips!

Drew
Cheers!
Northern Bob

Post by Northern Bob »

Thanks Drew, the stock might not have been cut. I hope my scale is reading right. If it is the barrels alone (with the extractor) weigh 4 lbs, 2 oz.
Last edited by Northern Bob on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
ASavageFox

Post by ASavageFox »

I think that is about spot on for 1 weight barrels if I recall correctly from what Silvers has said in the past. I have a set of 32" barrel that were originally 1 weights but they have been "messed with" and are a little under 4bs now.

Cheers
Cheers!
Northern Bob

Post by Northern Bob »

I have to take off for a while, Drew. When I get back I'll weigh the 66,007 barrels. It has 3" chambers that may or may not be factory.
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Northern Bob wrote:The Sterlingworth that I posted about above showed up. #64,202 has matching numbers and 32" barrels.
N B how does this gun letter. Was it perhaps sent back to have the 32 inch barrels fitted at a later date?
marlyn

Post by marlyn »

I own a sterlingworth 16 gauge with 32'' barrels
sterlingworth trap
16 gauge
32'' barrel,full and full
auto ejectors
ser#3613xx
shippedto the firm of harper and reynolds in los angeles in 1928 from philadelphia.
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

Welcome Marlyn.

Wow!!! That sounds like a really nice 16. Got any pictures to share?

Mike
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

I bought a 12g 32" Sterlingworth about 18 months agos from the rack at Cabela's Hamburg for $675...one of the junior guides at Beaver Dam has it now. I have owned 2 more 12g 32" Sterlingworths over the years. I also bought a Savage 32" 20g Sterlingworth with an added set of 26" barrels from George Caswell about ten years ago.
marlyn

Post by marlyn »

Thanks for the welcome MC and yes i will try to get some pics up of the gun,it is in very good condition.I am very glad to have found this forum!what a great resource for double gun lovers.
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Welcome!.......sounds like you have one unusual Sterlingworth there....32" & ejectors...the 16ga part is the hook!....nice.

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
marlyn

Post by marlyn »

Beleive it or not marshfellow ive owned the gun going on 15 years but have yet to shoot it!Living in the mojave desert im a quail and chukar guy and my doubles take a beating and this one has always been so pretty i did not want to mess it up.I was told by a family member of the estate i bought it from that it had never been fired although im not sure i beleive it,if it has been fired it shows no wear at all to the internals.The outside of the gun shows a few marks from handling but not much,it looks to be in great condition overall.I will get pics up asap,any info or light anyone can shed on the gun is appreciated.
NJdblgun

Post by NJdblgun »

Pictures would be most appreciated. I missed a 32" 16 ga Sterlingworth extractor awhile back, wish I could have picked it up.
Obsessed with Doubles

Post by Obsessed with Doubles »

I was just offered a 16g with 32" bbls.

It's a 1934 gun. Seller said it was it very good, all original shape, with lots of finish. They all say this, though.

Also said it was an extractor gun.

What kind of $ premium would you place on the 32" bbls?

Thanks

OWD
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

I would guess about a $300. to $500 premium for a 32" 16ga.