Flat Barrel Ribs

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Foxhound

Flat Barrel Ribs

Post by Foxhound »

Are SP/SPE guns the only ones with flat barrel ribs?
MARSHFELLOW

Re: Flat Barrel Ribs

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

I have a special order Philly gun who's card reads "straight flat rib"....and that's what it has on it.

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Witty1

Post by Witty1 »

How often do you guys see flat ribs I don't think I have ever seen one?

Also besides the single barrel trap guns, how often do vent rib Foxes appear? I have only seen two.
Witty1
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

In my experience Fox vent rib doubles dont appear often, real ones atleast. I think in the 30+ yrs that I've been paying attention to Foxes I've only seen/heard of right around a dozen max in all gauges & grades. Im quite sure that they have all been post-'29 guns, that is Utica era.

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I've racked my brain and I can only recall eight vent rib Ansley H. Fox doubles that I've come in contact with, and they were all Utica guns. Never owned one. I was well past forty years of messing with Ansley H. Fox doubles when I recently saw my first rightious Philadelphia era beavertail forearm. Neither the vent rib or the beavertail were mentioned in any Philadelphia era Fox catalogue or price list I've come in contact with.

I've also seen a few graded Philadelphia era guns with the flat rib. I've also seen a handful of Parker Bros. doubles with the flat rib. Again never found a catalogue that mentioned them. I've always like the flat rib on the early Remington Model 1894s. Remington offered the hollow (concave) rib as an option from the get go and eventually went to the concave rib as standard. I wonder what "perceived" advantage a concave rib offered over a flat rib?
Share the knowledge
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

Here's the rib on Peaches, my AE 20. Guess this qualifies as a flat rib.

Mike