32" sterlingworths??

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Northern Bob

Re: 32" sterlingworths??

Post by Northern Bob »

Bill, that gun was owned by my buddy from Ontario that checked out the Sterlingworth for me. I'll pm his name to you and you can contact him through the PGCA website member list. I've seen quite a few pictures that Epps wouldn't have and it is a fine looking Parker and a great shooter by his reports. Too bad that it is three provinces away or I would have already handled it.
Birdawg, it still has the duck's head, though I've thought about having it removed. It does make me smile a bit when I'm in the blind and adds character. The gun does have its warts, but I like it.
Last edited by Northern Bob on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ted Huff

Post by Ted Huff »

66097 is resting comfortably in my safe. I bought it last year from a gentleman who is in his late 80's and thought he bought it new when he was in his 20's. I suspect he was wrong in that regard unless it sat in the store for several years.

It is in marvelous shape and gets out to play on the trap line a couple times a year.
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

32" Sterlingworth Trap Ejector #1230XX (Utica) letters with full&full chokes and card is marked Special with no further detail as to what Special means.However, I do know that the gun has 3" chambers.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
scaupman

Post by scaupman »

x
Last edited by scaupman on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scaupman

Post by scaupman »

x
Last edited by scaupman on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Anyone here pick up on the DHE Parker pigeon gun at Ellwood Epps?
FOXIST

Post by FOXIST »

Dave you can add #108083 to your 12 bore 32" specimens table, Its a extractor gun and it has standard .726 bores with .040 chokes in both barrels. the stock has a little higher than usual specs with 2 5/8" drop at heel and 14 1/4" LOP. This is the gun I shoot in the Bo Whoop event and it does a great job on those long targets. I got this off fellow member Silvers a while back (thanks Silvers).These 32" sterlingworths are hard to come by and I have never handled one with ejectors in thirty some years of looking. Paul
A FOX GETS THE GAME!
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Now with folks reporting their 32-inch Sterlingworths to me I have seven 12-gauges recorded, and an odd pattern is developing, that all seven have a 0 in the hundreds place in their serial numbers?!?
Share the knowledge
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Dave you can add one more to the list. I have 116063. This gun was sent back to Savage sometime after 1938 or 1939 and the barrels were replaced and are marked Savage with the chamber length roll stamped on the left barrel. The checkering appears to have been re-cut and perhaps the receiver re-cased at the same time which made me suspicious that this gun was not originally a 32 inch barreled gun, however the 0 in the hundreds position leads me to believe that it was re barreled in the original length.
Ted Huff

Post by Ted Huff »

I have 66097 resting quietly in my safe. It's all original and in excellent shape. I bought it a few years ago from an elderly gentleman who told me he thought he bought it new (he was in his early - mid-80's but I doubt he actually bought it new unless it sat on the store shelf for several years). It letters as a Sterlingworth Trap.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I will mesasure mine and reply
Brian
LTC, IN, USAR
Back in the land of the big PX
Life Member A.H. Fox Gun Collectors Assoc
President For Life- Southwest Asia Chapter AHFGCA
SAS

Post by SAS »

A phila vintage 32" sw recently sold at Cabela's in Hamburg PA. The listed price was $1500.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Sterlingworth
32", SN 120008, 2 5/8" chambers
BORE R- .729 L- .729
Chokes: R-.048" L - .048"
Wall thickness at 14" form breech R-.036 L - .037
Barrel weight #2 3lbs 11 0z.
Drop 1 3/4 x 2 3/4"
LOP 14 1/4"
Weight 7lbs 7 1/2"
Chokes taper for 4.4" in each barrel
Brian
LTC, IN, USAR
Back in the land of the big PX
Life Member A.H. Fox Gun Collectors Assoc
President For Life- Southwest Asia Chapter AHFGCA
ASavageFox

Post by ASavageFox »

well its not my gun but I have in my records that I have seen one for sale a while back that I can add to the numbers and it fits Dave's odd coincidence situation...

32" SW non-ejector 105092
Cheers!
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

ASavageFox wrote:well its not my gun but I have in my records that I have seen one for sale a while back that I can add to the numbers and it fits Dave's odd coincidence situation...

32" SW non-ejector 105092

11 out of 11 guns with the same characteristics (Fox Sterlingworth with 32 inch barrels with a 0 in the onehundred position of the 5 or 6 digit serial number) with no outliers from a totally random sample is just too much to be a coincidence.