SP/SPE Recoil Pad

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Foxhound

SP/SPE Recoil Pad

Post by Foxhound »

Do any of you SP/SPE owners have a gun with a factory recoil pad? I would like to know what is considered correct for one of these guns.
Researcher

Re: SP/SPE Recoil Pad

Post by Researcher »

My SPE-Grade Skeet & Upland Game Gun had a very deteriorated leather-faced Jostam Anti-Flinch pad when I got it. The production card just said "Recoil Pad" with no mention of what kind. The gun sports a Silvers now. In looking thru the production cards for various kinds of recoil pads, I've found a few SP-/SPE-Grades that did specify Hawkins recoil pad, but more often it is Jostam Anti-Flinch recoil pad or just recoil pad.
Share the knowledge
Foxhound

Post by Foxhound »

Thanks for the info. The SP 12 ga. I bought last week has had the stock cut and a whiteline pad added. Would like to find an original widow's peak butt plate but I'm not going to hold my breath. Best bet is a more "correct" pad but that may not be easy either. Gun will be at my FFL dealer next week so I'll wait until the gun is in my hands before I decide what to do. Just shoot it as is for now.
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Foxhound,

I checked my records and I have 2 SPE S&U Grade guns with pad mentioned in the factory records. One 12ga lists "Silvers type recoil pad" and one of my 16's lists "Jostam Anti-Flinch pad".

Enjoy your gun!

Tom
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Foxhound

Post by Foxhound »

Thanks for the information. I like the looks of the Silvers pad but will not decide until later. If the gun were all original I would not alter it. However, somewhere along the line the stock was cut. All I want to do is put it back to what might have been ordered when it was new. Stumbled onto the gun while looking for parts and bought it. More homework will be done before I have any changes made. Thanks again.
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

Foxhound

A lot of the guys like and use the Silvers pad, but to me it is hard as a brick. I prefer a Hawkins pad, either heart shaped slots on the 16s/20s or the trestle/straight slots on the 12s. Original pads come up for sale, occasionally. The Jostam AF was the much more common pad from the factory but these pads are really hard to find.

Just as a suggestion, how about having the pad on the gun (or another) covered with leather? Kind of pricey but these look super in my opinion. Or, how about a Redhead or Jostam Hy-Gun pad? These are not that hard to find and usually not as expensive as some of the others.

My SP 20 ga has the widow's peak plate. Really adds a different look to the gun. If you could find an original that would also be a great alternative.

Just my thoughts but how about some pictures of the gun?

Mike
Foxhound

Post by Foxhound »

Gun will be shipped to my FFL dealer tomorrow and I will pick it up next Friday or Saturday. I will attempt pics then. I had not considered a leather covered pad. Stock has been cut and wood added so the gun needs to be restocked too.
Foxhound

Post by Foxhound »

Here are three photos from the seller.
ImageImage
Foxhound

Post by Foxhound »

Picked up the gun at my FFL dealer last Friday. It has 2 weight barrels, dual white (ivory?) sights, and an ebony wedge at the end of the forend. Grip cap is hard rubber or plastic. The trigger plate looks to have had the slot for the second trigger filled. Gun has no engraving.
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

........sounds correct to me. The earliest ones (SP/SPE) had no engraving what-so-ever.....later ones had some fine line border work. I seem to recall your gun being a first year (1932) gun. tjw
Foxhound

Post by Foxhound »

Does the filled trigger plate sound correct? Was the same trigger plate used for single (selective and non-selective) and double triggers?
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

........I dont know the answer to that for a fact....but I suspect it was the same. Every one that I have ever owned or seen has been selective.
Foxhound

Post by Foxhound »

Thanks for the info. I try to learn as much as I can from and about every Fox I acquire. Hope to get the gun out in the field this next weekend.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I've only seen a very few Ansley H. Fox doubles with the Fox-Kautzky non-selective single trigger. It was introduced as a feature of the SP-/SPE-Grades in the June 21, 1932 Wholesale and Retail Price List, adding $5.50 to the price above a double trigger SP-/SPE-Grade. In 1933 and 1934 the non-selective single trigger was offered on all Fox grades for $10 retail extra, while the selective trigger was $23.

The prices in this ad are misleading as the June 21, 1932, price list raised the suggested retail price of the Fox-Sterlingworth to $39.50 while the Fox Special SP-Grade was $48.50 and $54.00 with the non-selective single trigger and the Fox-Special SPE-Grade was $61.00 and $66.50 with the non-selective single trigger.
Share the knowledge
lawsonmabry

Post by lawsonmabry »

I have a 16 gauge SP with the single non selective trigger that is similar to yours. The trigger plate appears to have been made for the single trigger and is not filled.