The Southern

AHFCA lists all upcoming events on this Forum. Be sure to check back frequently to see what exciting shooting events, displays, and meeting are scheduled.
Jeff S

The Southern

Post by Jeff S »

I know that many of you have attended the "Southern" down in Sanford and it sounds like quite an exciting event. I have to admit that I'm toying with the idea of making the trek this year. Any suggestions for hotel accommodations? Do the Fox, of Parker, organizations reserve a "block" of rooms anywhere?
Silvers

Re: The Southern

Post by Silvers »

Jeff, the AFHCA has never reserved a block of rooms there in Sanford, and many of our members with dual membership in the PGCA get in on their room block at the Hampton. The Parker Collector rooms have long been sold out, like 3-4 weeks ago. I suppose you could get on the cancellation/waiting list (assuming you're a PGCA member) but I know that list is pretty long right now. The Holiday Inn is right nearby the Hampton and many stay there. Its day rate is higher than the negotiated PGCA rate at the Hampton. But the Holiday makes for convenience when hooking up with many familiar guys and gals who are at the Hampton, i.e., going out for dinner and sharing rides to/from Deep River which is about 10 miles away via a shortcut. For all I know the Holiday is also sold out by now. There are other hotels outside Sanford on the road toward Fort Bragg and their rates are lesser but generally so are the accommodations and you get into being somewhat isolated and out of the scene so to speak. Others stay in neighboring towns beyond and on the opposite side of Deep River but then you get into more miles and again being away from the evening action if you're there solo.

If you do decide on the Southern, and I hope you do, I know someone who got in on a transfer room at the Hampton and he still has a 2 double bed room reserved at the Holiday that presumably can be transferred. $169. plus tax. Send me a PM if interested and I'll take care of you my friend.

PS: I've heard some talk behind the scenes of a Fox member get-together for dinner one evening while there at the Southern. Nothing specific right now.

frank
Aan
Mike of the Mountain

Re: The Southern

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Jeff, we are staying at the Bayside. Rates are good and close to Deep River. Give them a call. We'll be there Tuesday through Sunday. I would suggest since you are a PGCA member too, get a banquet ticket for the Friday night event. It's a good time even though we must wear new cargo shorts, shiny crocs a Hawaiian shirt, tie and leather jacket.