Fox-Parker Challenge at VGC

AHFCA lists all upcoming events on this Forum. Be sure to check back frequently to see what exciting shooting events, displays, and meeting are scheduled.
Mike of the Mountain

Fox-Parker Challenge at VGC

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Here's the last event of 2019 for Fox Nation to compete. If you are shooting Fox guns at the Vintage Gunner's Cup, sign up and have some friendly competition against our Parker Gun brothers!!

GOOD 2019 Revised Fox Parker Challenge Rules-1.jpg

GOOD 2019 Revised Fox Parker Challenge Rules-2.jpg
Silvers

Re: Fox-Parker Challenge at VGC

Post by Silvers »

If I’m reading this correctly the qualification round on the course is what’s locally called “Score Ur Own” ….. no mention of station refs aka scorers. Will there be scorers on the courses? If not, how about doing the qualifications on the 5-stand where there’s an impartial scorer? Same as done for the annual Parker - L C Smith match at the Southern. These Challenge contests are often decided by a few birds, and just one shooter who shouldn’t be on the X or Y team at the shootoff will likely tip the scale to favor the other team.
Aan
Mike of the Mountain

Frank, the VG powers that be said we will be shooting on the course to qualify and the 5-Stand for the shoot off. Guys can cheat all they want no matter how the scoring is done, but they will be exposed in the shoot-off. As for trappers, I have no idea. As the old Polish proverb goes, "Not my monkeys, not my circus." :D
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Thanks Mike. Your reply reads like the VGC organizers made a unilateral decision and with little/no input at least from the AHFCA, one of makers in the competition. I've never heard that proverb or whatever it is but some other good Polish words come to mind regarding the progression of the Fox-Parker Challenge over the years. And on that line the old time English expression "Heigh-ho" applies, imo.

The VGC is one month away. Still time to discuss and possibly rework with their leadership if no scorers will be on the course.

frank
Last edited by Silvers on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Shooting the course for qualification sounds like a way to throw more targets and generate more income. I also think qualifications should take place on the 5-stand, much more efficient and fair.

I would like to hear thoughts on improving the participation for the challenge events. I have heard grumbling like "why should I try to qualify I will never make the team, it's always the same people" and "why should I shoot for score when I will never qualify and it costs more per target versus practice".
A couple of ideas have been suggest like selecting a team member from different classes of scores. Something like top man in the 45-50 score class, top man in the 40-45 class, top man in the 35-40 class, top man in the 30-35 class. This approach has obvious problems in that many top tier shooters would be eliminated, but it may also encourage more participation.

What say you???? Craig Larter
Mike of the Mountain

My reply Craig is the same guys make the shoot-off because they are the same guys who actually enter the events to qualify every year. One reason I am the coordinator and not a Fox shooter is I want nobody saying that I make the team and nobody else gets a chance. Not to worry guys, I won't be shooting a Fox at this event either. Plenty of opportunity for Fox Nation to qualify. The only way you are assured of watching from the sidelines is if you do not compete. Just shoot and have fun guys, never know, you just might shoot the best round of your life. 8)
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

It only makes sense to have the challenge qualifier rounds shot on the 5 stand as it is done for the Fox/Lefever in June.

Mike: It is stated in the posted rules that the qualifying rounds will be shot on the SC course. Did the VGC honchos write those rules? If so it does sound like they want to generate that extra income by making participants shoot the 50 target/ $50 course. As far as Craig's idea for classification we might just need that IF we could get more than 5 guys shooting a Fox.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Mike of the Mountain

I spoke to Tom S regarding FPC and he said we are shooting the qualifier on the course and the shoot-off will be as usual, on the 5-Stand. I finalized the rules after speaking with Tom.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Friends and fellow Fox-o-philes, let me start by saying that this is a good discussion. I've made the 10 hour trek from Grand Rapids to Hausmann's on 5 occasions and I have never regretted it. It's always a great time. However, it's unlikely that I will make it to the Vintage Cup. It's not that I'm worried about making the playoffs. It's a simple matter of burning 2 vacation days and spending 4 days away from Wonderful Cindy, and at this stage in my life, I'm still more attracted to her than vintage shot guns. :)

Craig mentioned that some people grumble "why should I try to qualify, I will never make the team, it's always the same people" and "why should I shoot for score when I will never qualify and it costs more per target versus practice". Here is my "2 cents worth": In Grand Rapids we have a run called the River Bank 25K run (15.5 miles). This is the largest 25K run in the country and I have competed in it the last 10 years. Obviously I have never won this race, and I have never even "placed" in my age group. I'm pretty sure that this 61 year old stubby German will never beat the guys from Kenya, however, Lord willing, I will continue to participate in this event. Why? Because it's FUN and I enjoy the camaraderie.

I'm all for friendly competition and I like winning as much as anyone else, but if I can't win, I'll gladly cheer for the guys that "make the team". Hopefully the people that attend this event will be going for the "brotherhood" first, and the competition 2nd. I hope all of the "regulars" attend, and I hope a few "newbies" make it to the event. They won't be disappointed. As for me, I'll try to come up with a good reason to drive to Friendsville, but as we all know, "life gets busy". Cheers!
Mike of the Mountain

Well said Jeff! Maybe you can bring Ms. Cindy to RMSC next Summer (July 30-31, Aug 1-2) and you can qualify for Team Fox in the Manufacturer's Cup Challenge? Fox has failed to put a 5 man team in the shoot-off for 2 years now. Heck, Team Ithaca has 3 boys qualify who are no more than 11 or 12 years old!! They love it! In 2018 they were RU in the shoot-off falling short by only 6 birds!! :D
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Mike of the Mountain wrote:Well said Jeff! Maybe you can bring Ms. Cindy to RMSC next Summer (July 30-31, Aug 1-2) and you can qualify for Team Fox in the Manufacturer's Cup Challenge? Fox has failed to put a 5 man team in the shoot-off for 2 years now. Heck, Team Ithaca has 3 boys qualify who are no more than 11 or 12 years old!! They love it! In 2018 they were RU in the shoot-off falling short by only 6 birds!! :D
Mike, I'm fearful that if I brought Cindy, and she met you, I'm apt to lose her. It's that "Je Ne Sais Quoi" thing that you have. :)
Mike of the Mountain

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Mike of the Mountain

Jeff, she can visit the area wineries while you shoot. Just sayin'.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Two plus weeks since the last post and nothing in the way of hype by anyone? Very little on the Parker site as well. :?: Man, things sure have changed on the Fox shooting scene since those years at Pintail Point and Addieville. This is very curious, last numbers I heard we now have almost twice the annual and life members as then but yet the interest in shooting while at events seems to have gone the opposite way. Example: at Addieville we had 19 Fox and 27 Parker shooters in that year's Fox-Parker Challenge. And extrapolating that ratio to this year we should be fielding something like 30-35 Fox shooters in the qualification round.

It would be nice to hear if there will be station refs/scorers on the 50 bird qualification.

frank
Aan
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Well this Michigander has guns, ammo and hotel reservations so I'm planning on making it. I'm just hoping that something unforeseen doesn't pop up in the next two weeks. Sometimes life gets busy, but I'm optimistic. However, it would be unfortunate if "Team Fox" had to rely on me to compete against our comrades from the Parker clan. I'm usually 50 / 50 when it comes to breaking birds at the 5 stand.
:D