Charles Daly

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
Jeff S

Charles Daly

Post by Jeff S »

Ooooooo! Here's the next chapter in The Life of Jeff. A Charles Daly / Lindner 10 ga. hammer gun. I had big fun knocking down pheasants today. :)
IMG_1678.jpg
Silvers

Re: Charles Daly

Post by Silvers »

Nice going Jeff. Looks like a good cock bird and imo those Daly hammer guns are way cool. What load are you using?

Next we'll see you cleaning house at Hidden Hollow's 10 bore event. :)

Your post reminded me of when I was going to buy a 10 bore Lindner Daly hammer gun from the late Billy Harris. Blll was selling off his collection and made things easy; he'd send me guns (with my C&R FFL) to check them out and I'd pay later if I kept the gun. We'd come to agreement on the keep price and one day he called to say he was packing it and decided to try the triggers. I don't know if he had snap caps in the gun. Anyway he said one of the hammers broke and its piece flew across his gun room where he finally found it; also that it looked like someone had glued it together in the past. That was a deal breaker as I didn't want to deal with trying to find a matching hammer or welding etc. I often wonder what Bill did to get it fixed.

frank
Aan
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Jeff Very nice, they are way cool to shoot, love my 10's. Congratulations
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Thanks Craig. Frank, I was using RST 1 1/4 oz loads. Someday I may want to get into reloading, but since I just brought the gun home, it was easier to order shells. Besides, I want Morris to continue living a nice life style. :). I "nailed" 3 birds, but I also missed a couple. Those barrels are significantly heavier than what I'm accustomed to, and I need to learn how to "swing" them through the bird. Big fun though. I can't wait to knock down a duck with it.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Frank. Both of the hammers appear okay so it's probably not your friend's gun. I'll bring it to Hausmann's and you guys can teach me how to shoot it properly. It weighs 8 1/2 lbs which probably isn't heavy for a 10 ga., but it's all in the barrels. :)