baker side by side

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
SPE33

Re: baker side by side

Post by SPE33 »

I’ve been looking for a while for a good Baker gun as I thought it would be nice to have at least one example of each of the five or six major gun makers from the early 1900’s.Found one this last weekend at one of my favorite shows. Not one of the plain Batavia models but an honest to goodness Baker A grade. 16 gauge (which seem to be a bit scarce) 28” uncut Damascus barrels, what appears to be English walnut and a nice amount of engraving with a dog on each side. It certainly measures up to any Fox,Lefever,or L.C.Smith in my opinion.Only markings on it are the serial numbers and the Baker name on the sideplates. A good unmessed with original gun....I like it.
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

SPE33,
Would you post a picture when you get the gun please. Thanks, Ed
SPE33

Post by SPE33 »

Glassman....Sent you a PM
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

I have another question, what could the reblueing do to the original barrels or any solder joints etc? Does it depend on what process of reblueing was used? I am looking at a couple of other guns from that collection, and I am still looking at this baker. Does anyone know approximately how much it would cost to redo those barrels? Then one would wonder why they were reblued in the first place? Thanks for everyones input. I don't know if I would be able to take the gun to a gunsmith to have them inspect the barrels or give me an opinion.
SPE33

Post by SPE33 »

Glassman...Gave you all the (somewhat) limited knowledge I have in regards to these questions.Hope it helped. Surprises me that none of the other members have replied.
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

spe33,
It was a big help, I know so little about old shotguns is why I am asking all these questions. Thanks again