Ithaca Grouse

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
grouse_fan

Ithaca Grouse

Post by grouse_fan »

I took this grouse with a 16 gauge Ithaca that belonged to my grandfather.
Attachments
20181220_085025-1195x2124.jpg
classicioi

Re: Ithaca Grouse

Post by classicioi »

That has to be an awesome feeling ... I'm sure he's proud
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

nice picture
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

What a buzz to hunt with your Grandpa's gun. Nice pic, thanks for posting. Those NID's are good guns. I see you're in McKean County. I hunt the PA mountains in Bradford and Sullivan Counties and this grouse season was nothing to write home about, several factors that came together and with birds scattered widely. I did my last day of our grouse season yesterday, rain again today and family commitment on Saturday. Just wondering about your take on grouse numbers this year in the northwest part of the state?

P.S. If you haven't been there in the past I'd encourage you to get to the Northeast SxS at Hidden Hollow in June …. Susquehanna County nearby Montrose.

frank
Last edited by Silvers on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
OH Osthaus

Post by OH Osthaus »

that would be a thrill, hope you can continue to build those memories
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

That is terrific Grouse Fan. I really enjoyed your picture.
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Wonderful. Looks like that early NID has been out having adventures. What memories it must hold.
Share the knowledge
grouse_fan

Post by grouse_fan »

Silver,

The grouse population seems to be doing better around here then most of the state. I guess better habitat. There are 1,000 of acres around here both state and private industrial forest land. I haven't had a problem finding birds. I just wish my shooting was better.

I haven't been to the Northeast sxs shoot yet, hope to get there in the near future.
grouse_fan

Post by grouse_fan »

Silvers,
The grouse population is better around here then most of the state. Better habitat, I guess. There are thousands of acres around here both state and private industrial forest lands. I haven't had a problem finding birds, I just wish my shooting was better.
I haven't been to the Northeast sxs shoot yet, but hope to in the near future.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Thanks Grouse for the reply.

More on Ithaca NID's; I like them a lot especially the early ones with cocking indicator pins. Several months ago I'm at a gun show and a gent is walking around with a custom 20 bore NID that's been converted to straight grip with a stretched/long tail trigger guard. The Ithaca was a high quality build, better than many custom Fox small bores I've seen and his asking price was in the ballpark. She had a well figured stock with lots of figure, came up up nicely and I was in love. I'd already spent most of my loot on something else but had some money squirreled away in the truck and besides, that's where I had my bore mike, chamber gauge etc. The gent followed me out. Everything checked out and he gave me a good price which I would have paid but all told I was about $220 short and he wouldn't budge.

I'm reminded of that lyric about "walking away" in Boston's More than a Feeling. :cry:
Aan
grouse_fan

Post by grouse_fan »

Sorry for the double reply. For some reason I thought the first one didn't post. So I typed it again and resubmitted it. I'm still learning my way around this forum.