Two Lefevers, time travel pic

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
Woody

Re: Two Lefevers, time travel pic

Post by Woody »

jolly bill wrote:Frank,

Great picture.

Here's another rabbit gun. Also a Lefever but one from Ithaca. Like the one Jeff used to hunt rabbits and ducks with: Ithaca Lefever 410 with 26 inch barrels choked Mod in the right barrel and Full choke in the left.

Shot a lot of rabbits with this gun both in front of beagles but more of them as a result of my English Springer "Teddy Rough Rider Roosevelt". A great flushing dog and also retrieved rabbits back to me. Sometimes rabbits were still alive.

I shot 2 1/2", 1/2 ounce of #4's in the right Modified barrel and 3", 3/4 ounce, or later 11/16 ounce loads of #4's in the left Full choke barrel. Good grouse gun too.

Like you guys, brings back many fantastic memories.
Perfect bunnie gun. Ran a lot of beagles with buddies. I always Shot a 28 ga. Nobody i know has dogs anymore. I’ve always said beagles are great dogs for friends to own. Lol.
Woody

Post by Woody »

OH Osthaus wrote:
Jeff S wrote: As people that hunt bunnies with beagles know, if you don't get a shot when you first bump the rabbit, just sit tight and it will probably circle right back to you. Yup, you can run after the dog if you want, but it's best to just stand still and let the dawg chase the rabbit right back to you.
s-l1600ns25.jpg
My father was a rabbit hunter- he had a friend that had a wide ranging beagle that would get lost, Bob would put his coat down where he last saw the dog and go back at sundown to get the dog and his coat, worked every time,

Good trick for coon dogs too. Come back in the AM and usually there’s a dog on the coat.
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

The area where we hunt woodcock is public game land and is very popular with beagle rabbit hunters. We always check with them first as they are leaving the fields for a woodcock report and locations. They never shoot them and always find it quite humorous that grown men with expensive guns and dogs chase them! Kevin
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Funny you should mention rabbit hunters and woodcock in the same sentence Kevin. Not that long ago I spent many days chasing woodcock and quail at Millington on the MD/Del line. The bunny chasers were a treasure trove of info. Sadly the quail, woodcock and now the bunnies are almost non-existent. But if you want to pick dozens of ticks off you and your dog, this is the spot.

Good news is I've stumbled across across another WMA that holds at least 2 small (15-20 birds ) covies of Mr. Bob and the potential of woodcock when they come through. Pushed 3 last week and then it started to rain, I mean pour. And... nary a tick.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Great stuff guys! I grew up hunting my Pappy's farm (right next door) as a kid. My first rooster was taken in the cut corn. We filled limits of roosters, bunnies and squirrels most every day we/I hunted. We never had dogs, bird dogs or beagles, so we did it the old fashioned way. Since if I hunted with a group I was the youngest, we all know who was the dog and jumped on the brush piles and crawled through the multiflora!! I remember every bunny was hung by wire on the horse chestnut tree behind the barn and dressed out and skun there. Mom would brown them up in butter and onions and it tasted like a feast for a king!! Good times indeed. :D As we'd say, "Nix besser!!"
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

what a great thread,hope others enjoy re reading :wink: