Ithaca Super 10

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
Jeff S

Re: Ithaca Super 10

Post by Jeff S »

Silvers wrote:Jeff, just my opinion but there are times when something like a Benelli SBE is the best friend a Fox man can have in the blind. The good Super-Fox or whatever goes into a waterproof case and out comes the SBE. And that's from a guy who has plenty of lower grade/lower condition Foxes I can use. I learned that when I had the head swell on a good Fox after a long deluge.

I've owned a SBE for over 20 years; first one was the original version which worked just fine but the recoil was a bit grim with heavy ducking loads. The current one is a Benelli Custom Shop SBE2 that has the semi flex stock which does reduce felt recoil. All the SBE's are ultra reliable at least ime. I took that first one to a dove/pigeon shoot in Argentina and shot something like 2500 shells without cleaning. At times the barrel got so hot I was afraid the forend would melt, and would open the breech to pour a cold one down the barrel. I kid you not. I never did a lick of cleaning and It was nice to get back to the hooch and just plain relax before dinner while my buds were cleaning their gas guns. :roll:
Amen! If it's raining and I want to duck hunt, out comes the Synthetic Benelli.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

I agree with Frank too.

I've got one and have never had a problem with it. It digests anything I want to shoot our of it without a hiccup. I have washed it with a hose after goose hunting before I could get to cleaning it right and it did not seem to suffer too much.

I also have a SBE dedicated slug gun and it is a real tack driver with Winchester Supremes. It does kick a lot though as noted. No fun sighting it in with just a Tshirt.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

You guys are sick. I would give up hunting if I had to hunt with one of those mechanical monsters. Plastic crap. But they could be useful scooping up Lucy's poop! :D
OH Osthaus

Post by OH Osthaus »

maybe a new wishy washy double gunner level of membership is called for :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW - i poured the water out of the bores and dried the Ithaca out again today - this is getting ridiculous
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

fox-admin wrote:You guys are sick. I would give up hunting if I had to hunt with one of those mechanical monsters. Plastic crap. But they could be useful scooping up Lucy's poop! :D
They work good too for pushing your duck boat thru shallow, muddy bottom water. Yep, just hose 'em down. :D

Craig: I'm sure you and Rick/OH Osthaus already know, for the last 5 days that you guys have hunted at the marsh, it's rained for 4 of them. :(

And Finger Lakes Woody can agree with that.

It'll get better.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Rain and mud don't change my choice in duck guns. They all get wet and I live with it. I never use anything but a double gun.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

fox-admin wrote:You guys are sick. I would give up hunting if I had to hunt with one of those mechanical monsters. Plastic crap. But they could be useful scooping up Lucy's poop! :D
Craig, I'm begging for compassion and forgiveness. I bought the Benelli before I knew the AHFCA existed, and if I leave the Fox at home on a nasty day it's out of respect for the beautiful 100 year old wood. :(
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

I once had a cavalier attitude on hunting in day-long heavy rain with any Fox I owned; no worries until I found this. An Ansley era CE Grade long barreled waterfowler …..
2015-CE.jpg
Last edited by Silvers on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Jeff S wrote:
Craig, I'm begging for compassion and forgiveness. I bought the Benelli before I knew the AHFCA existed, and if I leave the Fox at home on a nasty day it's out of respect for the beautiful 100 year old wood. :(
The burden of disapproval from Fox-Admin, Jolly Bill and Eightbore is to great for me to endure. Here is my Benelli in the trash along with kitty litter and several frozen duck carcasses from 2009.
Benelli resized.jpg
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

OK Jeff now your getting it. All yea need to do to completely redeem yourself is buy a black lab!!!! :D
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Oh my....
TJW
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Yep, black lab is a good start but don't stop at just one. Sadly, if you tried that stunt of putting your shotgun in your trash receptacle down here you'd have the swat team surrounding your house.

In Jeff's defense, he carried a couple of nice SxS's in South Dakota.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

I totally agree with Craig and Daryl. Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Share the knowledge
OH Osthaus

Post by OH Osthaus »

Researcher wrote:FWIW -- For you NID Super-Ten fans, a No. 2 NID Super-Ten is being parted out on ebay.
thanks - but

cut barrels with a serious ding in them, and a broken stock

might be some useful small parts - but not all that super :D
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE