Another Lefever score in PA

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
Silvers

Another Lefever score in PA

Post by Silvers »

We still have plenty of leaves on the trees, a very unusual year with lots of rain here in northeast PA. I finally got out to the mountains today with a Syracuse Lefever DS 16 bore that came out of NC earlier this fall, a 1912 gun Also took my familiar Fox Sterlingworth Ejector 16 but was carrying the Lefever when I got this bird. Both are 26-inch guns. The bird was taken at a place I call "Lilac" where a big lilac survives next to an old fieldstone house foundation and remnants of a small barn way back in the woods. It was pretty warm this afternoon, 65-degrees. I hunted 5 hours, had three flushes and one shot. The Lefever is chambered true 2-9/16" (not short) and the grouse was taken with a RST Spreader, with a vintage Federal Hi Power paper 2-9/16" shell on standby in the left barrel. A tough bird to get at; it fell into a big patch of greenbrier on a steep side hill and it took me about 10 minutes to work in. Overall a memorable first hunt with the Lefever and her first shot fired at live game (for me).

Here are a few pics of the fantail and guns as well as some random ones taken while hunting - an old timber RR bed that runs through an unnamed cover, a place we call the "Bubble Up" and a small but legal buck on the move.
IMG_1916.jpg
IMG_1924.jpg
IMG_1930.jpg
IMG_1912.jpg
IMG_9442.JPG
Last edited by Silvers on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aan
Jeff S

Re: Another Lefever score in PA

Post by Jeff S »

Beautiful pictures Frank. Thanks for sharing them. How close were you to that buck?
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Thanks Jeff, the buck was about 35 yards and pic was taken by zooming in. Later in the day I talked with some archery deer hunters with Maine plates on their truck. They asked about deer and I showed them the pic and where that was. Wished them good luck, that buck was on the move lookin for love and who knows where it is this morning? :roll:

I saw just a few vehicles while moving between covers, probably more archery hunters or maybe out for turkeys. No trucks with dog boxes or obvious signs of grouse chasers.
Aan
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

I've noticed in a few pictures that those Lefevers have very nicely checkered, round pistol grips. They look nice.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

I love your pictures, Frank. They remind me of growing up in Minnesota and hunting Ruffed Grouse, the 1st gamebird I ever hunted. Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I always enjoy your pictures, Frank. I well remember the "Bubble Up" from previous pics over the years. I never tire of them.

Lefever, eh? :wink:

SRH