The Second and Third Tier American Doubles

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
Researcher

The Second and Third Tier American Doubles

Post by Researcher »

Several of us, more than a little, side-tracked Frank's thread in the "For Sale" section of the "Members Only" forum, so I thought we should bring it here.

I've never seen a purpose built long range 12-gauge 3-inch chamber gun by Crescent, but Davis - Warner took a run at the long range waterfowl market with their Hy-Power --
Davis Hammerless Guns 1926 E.K. Tryon.jpg
We had a Crescent "Quail Hammerless" .410-bore, with the bell-shaped breech ends of the barrels, in the family that I shot a few Doves with back in the 1960s, but it got stolen out of cousin Morrie's house.
Quail Hammerless.jpg
About 40 years ago I picked up this New Empire down at the Roanoke, Virginia, gun show --
PC100003.JPG
As I recall I shot one round of skeet with it to prove it worked and it has been in the safe ever since.

My Pheasant hunting career began with me using my Mother's Sears, Roebuck & Co. RANGER which was in reality a J. Stevens Arms Co. Springfield No. 315. It had been restocked for my Mother with a straight grip, a higher quality trigger guard and a Jostam "No Kick Coming" recoil pad by my Great Uncle Art Gustavson, a Seattle area gunsmith. I had to add a lace-on pad for some more length-of-pull.
Pheasant Huntin 1959.jpg
Share the knowledge
MARSHFELLOW

Re: The Second and Third Tier American Doubles

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

......if that picture aint Americana I don't know what is!!!???.... right down to the cowboy hat & '59 Chevy. Nice Dave!
tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Thanks Dave for restarting the thread here. That's one cool dude with the straight grip Ranger! Is that your Dad? I seem to recall another sub tier 3-inch SxS waterfowler in a period mag but don't recall the maker's name right now.

That '59 Chevy brought back memories of one owned by a friend of my late cousin Joe. It was a few years old by then and not the fastest wheels around but one of the coolest with its 348 W mill and three deuces, factory setup at 315 HP as I recall. That's real HP not the modern ratings.

frank
Aan
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Dave, fantastic picture! Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

Look out James Dean!! The "Researcher" cometh!!!
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The 1959 Chevy was a four-door Bel-Air with a Blue-Flame Six and three on the tree. The other guy is my Uncle Irv, my Father's second younger brother, who for some reason is holding my Father's Remington AE-Grade 12-gauge in this picture. Irv shot a pair of early, plain barrel, ringed forearm, Remington Model 870s in 12- and 20-gauge, both fitted with Poly-Chokes and left-hand safeties.
Share the knowledge
scaupman

Post by scaupman »

Dave - what kind of knife is hanging off your belt?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

As I recall it is Swedish. A bit strange elderly shirttail relation of ours who spent most of his life living alone at the mouth of some river in Alaska, gave it to me. I still have it, but it is at home and I'm at our place in Kodiak, AK.

I was searching the internet last evening but haven't been able to find a picture of a Davis double marked Hy-Power. Found several marked with their lowest priced grade AJAX --
N.R. Davis AJAX
N.R. Davis AJAX
leaving me to believe that most N.R. Davis shoppers weren't moving above the entry-level gun!!
Share the knowledge
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

From a Davis-Warner Arms advert dated 1926: Davis HY-POWER chambered for 3" shells kills ducks at 80 yds. Made in 12 gauge only, 30 and 32" barrels. Price $35.00. ….. These guns are highly finished. Remember you need not pay over $35.00 for a Long Range Duck Gun if you select a Davis.

Fox catalog prices effective March 1926: Sterlingworth $36.50 and HE Grade "Super-Fox" $79.60

There should be a few of these Davis HY-POWERS out there! :wink:
Aan
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Dave, those ringnecks must have been struggling to find their next meal.