SPE33

Lefever crossbolt

Post by SPE33 »

06B5447F-EFF0-424E-BCEC-4C191E3F2AFD.jpeg

Built by D.M.Lefever Sons & Co. after he left the Lefever Arms Co. in 1902
Stan Hillis

Re: Lefever crossbolt

Post by Stan Hillis »

From what I can see that is a very nice gun. Could you possibly post some more pics of it that would show the rest of the checkering and forend?

Thanks, SRH
SPE33

Post by SPE33 »

Stan,sent you a p.m. SPE33
kgb

Post by kgb »

The Lefever Crossbolt guns are the ones I'd like to see re-introduced, to the quality level of the CSMC Foxes. Too few made and the most interesting, beautiful guns to my eye.
Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

I have a soft spot for the Lefever cx bolt guns. I grew up in NW Ohio and went to Bowling Green State University (BGSU). The original factory was on what is now part of the campus. Defiance was about 44 minutes W of where I grew up. I’ve always scratched my head as to what drew him to Ohio just like what drew Hollenbeck to West Virginia! Hmmm?
Regards - Foxnut
SPE33

Post by SPE33 »

Perhaps he was looking to distance himself from the Lefever Arms Co. which continued building guns in Syracuse until they were picked up by the Ithaca gun co. which shifted their production to Ithaca N.Y. This might explain the 'Not connected to Lefever Arms Company' disclaimer that appeared on the early production crossbolt guns. You might want to look on the Lefever Arms collector forum and do a search on Defiance Ohio. Defiance has railroad access and the site of the factory there is just about a stones throw from the Maumee river.Looked into a possible Erie canal connection but it seemed to be in its waning days in the later part of the 19th century.B.G.S.U. got plenty of my $$$$,I sent two of my boys there.