2 triggers

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
44whiskey

2 triggers

Post by 44whiskey »

my first 2 trigger shotgun was an italian 20 ga. boxlock. sold it and bought fancier version of same gun with fake sideplates.both shotguns were configured the same. not knowing anything about doubles i located most open choke in left barrel and fired with back trigger,as most of my hunting those days was walked up quail i learned flushing birds to shoot back trigger followed by front trigger as the distance grew from rise to fleeing.as this is the way i learned it seems the most natural and the most ergonomic.thinking about putting spreader load in left barrel of little fox 20 and giving that a try. i think most italian doubles are still configured that way,is there any other country that builds doubles with open choke mostly in left barrel , your thoughts fellas 44whiskey
3birddogs

Re: 2 triggers

Post by 3birddogs »

The gun was probably designed for driven pheasnt hunting in Europe where your 1st shot is further out than your second, thus chokes were reversed.
May every spring from now until eternity throb with the drum roll of your wings(RogerLatham)
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

thanks for reply,that makes sense.i watch many youtube hunts of driven birds in england. over unders seem to dominate the field these days, single select triggers would allow one choice of which choke first. just wonder about the odd purdey ,h and h and so on how they are choked and operated on incoming birds.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I shoot lots of incoming doves, and sometimes several will be in a drove. My goal on incomers is, always, to double and have the second bird fall in front of me. That requires using the tightest choked barrel first, which is always the left barrel for me. I take that shot way out there, then quickly try to kill the second with the right, more open, barrel before he gets too close to me. That requires some fast shooting when they are closing on you at 60+ mph.

I wouldn't want a S X S choked vise versa. It would be too hard to get used to switching back and forth between it and my others.

If I'm using an O/U for doves I set it up so that the bottom barrel is the tightest choked, never the other way round.
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

thank you for that reply stan,just shows the options of select triggers and two chokes and how beneficial that can be :wink:
Last edited by 44whiskey on Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Stan's use of the tight barrel first because of the approaching birds is a good idea. However, I think that the use of the tight barrel first, at least for me, would be because the shooter can give more attention to a careful shot with the first barrel, then a quick shot at closer range with the second more open barrel. In my experience, a quick closer range shot with a full choke sometimes results in a disappointing miss.
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

eightbore wrote:Stan's use of the tight barrel first because of the approaching birds is a good idea. However, I think that the use of the tight barrel first, at least for me, would be because the shooter can give more attention to a careful shot with the first barrel, then a quick shot at closer range with the second more open barrel. In my experience, a quick closer range shot with a full choke sometimes results in a disappointing miss.
I agree Bill. I have one question though, are there any misses that are NOT disappointing? Asking for a friend. :shock: