Our newest Setter!

Use this forum to post pictures of your hunting dog.
Mike of the Mountain

Our newest Setter!

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Had our newest Setter out for some work this week. Jo is 100% Decoverly. She is 2 1/2 years old and was a started dog. She was being trained to hunt until her heat in late winter when she was moved to the breeding program. We chose her on disposition and hunting ability. I was behind her twice over chukar before we bought her this summer. She's a beautiful tri-color and we're looking forward to hunting her in a brace this winter. Here she is locked up on a chukar.

73528710_2574324159281175_3600376569186484224_n.jpg
Jim Cloninger

Re: Our newest Setter!

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Looks like a beautiful dog, Mike. Can you post a picture without the red vest? Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Beautiful dog, fun starting a new dog.
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Congratulations,
She is a beauty. We got 10" snow yesterday, we won't be planting chukars for a while:)
Mike of the Mountain

Thanks guys! Glassman, 10" of snow, UGH!!!! Sorry to hear that. We have cousins in Lead, SD and Kalispel, MT and they've been slammed a few times already. Not looking forward to that ugly white stuff flying here. Then again, it's NEPA, if you don't like the weather just wait 15 minutes.
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Mike,
My wife or I run our brittany almost every day. The other day when we had 3" of snow on the ground, I hunted him for about 40 minutes, he averaged over 13 mph. He averages somewhere usually between 5 to 8 depending on cover. I hunted him in a half mature woods that day he ran so hard, he was just flying, he would occasionally scoop up a mouthful of snow. He would not stop for a drink, he just wanted to run/hunt. Today a guy is coming up from Lansing, we are going to run 3 brittanies, that should be interesting. After the 10" it got about 38 degrees yesterday, so its not quite as deep, the dogs really have to work hard in the deep stuff.
Mike of the Mountain

Glass, I hear ya!! Our smallest Setter, Callie, is 40-45 lbs and hunts like a missile. She's so fast when we hunt her and Ghillie he tries to keep up. Well, he's pooped after an hour of running like her!! Only good thing about that is she hunts close too so we're not chasing Setters into the next county. Best wishes on the season! We were out again this Tuesday. Snow was blowing and temps were high of 22 and Jo hunted like she's been doing it for years. Won't take too many more birds for her to be "finished".