hunted with my new fox A grade today

Use this forum to post pictures of your hunting dog.
glassman48

hunted with my new fox A grade today

Post by glassman48 »

My buddy and I took my brittany cash down to a pheasant farm today. I purchased a 12 gauge fox A grade from Jeff S. a couple of months ago. Except for the first shot at a pheasant when my thick gloves would not let me get the safety off, I was 3 for 3 on pheasants. I was very happy with this nice shotgun, it still feels a bit front heavy compared to my 20 gauge over under with 26" barrels, but that is to be expected. My buddy missed birds all day with his 20 gauge with full choke. We were getting some pictures of him, when I looked over and cash was on point 30 feet from our car. His gun was already put away, so he grabbed my fox and I gave him 2 shells and he got the pheasant, he shot twice, I knew the bird was hit, we went to where the bird landed and cash found him right away. Thanks Jeff for selling me such a nice shotgun. I am sending Jeff S. the pictures, it keeps telling me file is to big, and I cut it down as much as I can.
glassman48

Re: hunted with my new fox A grade today

Post by glassman48 »

I am hoping this one loaded. Fox A grade that I got from Jeff S.
Attachments
fox 12 gauge up close.jpg
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

It looks like Ed Norman (aka Glassman48) had a great day pheasant hunting with hunting companion, "Cash". Ed, great pictures and nice shooting. The Fox gets the game!
123951 full (2).jpg
123951 (2).jpg
123951 (2).jpg (65.79 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
123951 (1).jpg
123951 (1).jpg (110.05 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
Attachments
123951.jpg
123951.jpg (70.92 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Jeff S.
Thanks a lot for posting the pictures. I tried for a half hour to load, I tried to reduce the picture size like I have before in the fox forum and had no luck. Cash was magnificent today after a couple of months of no hunting. He quartered just like he was supposed to all day, my buddy and I hunted hard for 3 hours. He came down last fall to the pheasant farm and commented that cash was hunting even better than he did the first time he saw him. I am really proud of that dog and how far he has come in such a short period of time. He is one tired dog today, he is laying on our love seat upstairs just wore out, I came up to check on him a while ago, and he just wags his tail and he is so tired his eyes are half closed while his tail is going a mile a minute.
Jimmy Goodtime

Post by Jimmy Goodtime »

Looks like a great day! I know you mentioned you were training your first bird dog. You must have been very proud! The dogs make the hunt that much sweeter.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Ed, you look like a proud "Daddy" with Cash.
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Jimmie,
I know I say this a lot in here, but I really cannot hardly believe how good that dog is doing. My buddy Mike and I just stood there and watched him run, he is figuring things out so well. He found unplanted birds today, he found Mikes bird he shot which was a couple hundred yards away when it landed. We went downwind of where we saw him land and he was tired by then, but he figured it out and found him. When I took the breeder of cash and the breeder brought cash's mom to hunt a couple months ago, he was just superb, he didn't quarter like he did today when he was alone, so I am wondering if that has something to do with hunting with another dog. I will work on retrieving next, the breeder has offered to help with that too. I think my buddy Mike might be looking for an old side by side after shooting the fox today. He has a remington 870 12 gauge pump with full choke, and an old bolt action 20 gauge with full choke, he used the bolt action today. I will let him use my 20 gauge over under next time with more open chokes and see if that helps, he has gone 3 times and only got 1 bird with the full choke gun. I think he is shooting pretty quick, he will get it figured out I am sure.
SPE33

Post by SPE33 »

Glassman,Glad everything is working out for you. First dog I really hunted over was Brittany belonging to a friends Dad.
He was amazing.They are hunting machines.
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

spe33,
My wife and I are going out to dinner tonight with the breeder of cash and his wife. I know guys that get a "dog of a lifetime" after several hunting dogs. I know they like all of their dogs they have in different ways. It just feels almost like I am getting my "dog of a lifetime" with my first one. I just cannot wait until I can get him in some woodcock this spring and next hunting season. If I can get him retrieving he will be quite a good hunting dog. Thanks for your kind comments and everyone else in here.