cash at a pheasant farm

Use this forum to post pictures of your hunting dog.
glassman48

cash at a pheasant farm

Post by glassman48 »

I took our brittany cash to a pheasant farm after grouse season was over with the breeder of cash and cash's mom, her name is spice. Cash went on point first and she stopped to honor about 2 feet behind cash. It was something I will never forget. I was going to take a picture, but it was the first point of the day. I knew we would get many more points as the day went on. The point in this picture was cash pointing and his mom spice honoring a long way back. The wind was just right and she honored probably 60' back of cash. I walked way around spice to get the picture I took. Hap the breeder and his friend were in the picture near cash. His dog spice is the best trained brittany I have ever seen. He has very good control over that dog, and he barely talks above a whisper when she is near enough to hear. I am hoping I can get cash to that point one day, Hap has been so helpful with everything, he has spent countless hours with my wife and I in the field. His wife Sharon and my wife are now friends and they hang out while we train dogs or hunt. Meeting them has been one of the best things to happen to my wife and I.
Attachments
spice honoring cash point.jpg
Jeff S

Re: cash at a pheasant farm

Post by Jeff S »

Nice pictures! I'll bet you're just itching to get out there with your Fox.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Glassman, great pics! Looks like Cash is doing great. Always good to see the sire and/or dam of our dogs work. Can show you what a dog is capable of!
Regards - Foxnut
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Jeff, No I cannot wait, I called the pheasant farm last week, to much snow and ice. The next warm day (above 32 degrees:) I am taking the fox out and pattern it. Hopefully someday we can hunt together. Foxnut, that female is the best behaved brittany in the field I have ever seen. I learned even more about handling out in the field just watching Hap with his dog that day. He will give me a small bit of advice, not very often, he does not over teach and he isn't constantly trying to tell me what to do. The guy I grew up hunting with was the same way, if you wanted to learn, you had to really pay attention to what they said. Haps last field champion was Michigan gun dog of the year I think from 2010 to 2015? That dog was a 2 or 3 time nfc or afc or both, I am not even sure about all that. He is very humble about it all which is why I like him so much. This is a picture of Hap and spice after the hunt, they set out 10 birds 5 roosters, and 5 hens that day, I have never gone to a pheasant farm and got 100% of birds released until that day. His female spice went down in a creek that day when I shot a "wild" rooster, that was impressive, the bird looked as big as she was when she came up that bank:)
Attachments
hap and spice and 5 pheasants.jpg
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Jeff,
I finally shot the fox today, it shot right where I aimed at a pattern board, maybe 1" to 2" low at 15 yards, might be the barrel is more front heavy than my over under 20 gauge with 26" barrels:). I tried to pull up and shoot within about 1 second. The 20 gauge over under shot right where I aimed, so that threw off completely my theory that my over under was shooting high because it didn't have as much stock drop as the fox:) So much for theories lol. I really like that gun A LOT. Foxnut, I invited Jeff up to hunt, if your up this way, please stop in. If the timing is right, bring your dog too. I still cannot believe how lucky we were to get cash, he is such a good dog, and really did well his first season hunting. My breeder hap said he will get a little better each year but in haps word, he is superb. What a feeling to have when someone of his expertise with dogs says that. Made my day, made my week, my month, you get the idea:)