Dog Boxes?

Use this forum to post pictures of your hunting dog.
SmithShady

Dog Boxes?

Post by SmithShady »

I thought I would poll the members here and see if anyone had strong opinions on Dog Boxes to fit in the back of a truck (shortbed crew cab F-150)? I've been wanting a truck vault system for some time, but now I find myself looking at some of the combination units I see out there with gun and two dog storage combined. No camper shell on my truck, so I need something waterproof or need to add a shell. I've been looking through website after website tonight and there are a lot of choices. I like a lot of the aluminum boxes I see, but how are these in the summertime for the dogs? Any good or bad experiences or brand recommendations are welcomed.

Mike
"Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
scaupman

Post by scaupman »

x
Last edited by scaupman on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Stan Hillis

Re: Dog Boxes?

Post by Stan Hillis »

I don't understand why entirely, but aluminum tool boxes and dog boxes that are made from the "diamond plate" stuff get extremely hot. But, that is in the summertime mostly. It could be a problem during early dove season, but not during the winter months. There are thousands of the aluminum dog boxes in my part of the world. Bird hunters, deer hunters, duck hunters, hog hunters, etc. On extended winter trips, like to Arkansas, my buddies use a plastic kennel with a removable cover to insulate and break the wind. Works well if you only have one dog to haul. My Lab rides in the back of my Jeep hunting rig. In the summer it is open, but during the winter I have a hardtop on it.

SRH
AmarilloMike

Post by AmarilloMike »

As far as the Truck Vault, I have one that has outlasted four Ford Expeditions. I bought it about ten years ago. They are well built and well designed.

If you go the shell route the area between the truck vault and the back of the cab would be pretty inaccessible with a Truck Vault drawer system.

I don't think Truck Vaults are weather proof.

There are metal drawer systems that run the full length of the bed made for pickeups used in the HVAC, electrical and plumbing trades.

I think the aluminum diamondplate does a pretty fair job of reflecting sunlight back out into the sky. Much better than any other box that is out in the open. It is common here to see aluminum dog boxes in the back of pickups where I live. This area is definitely sunny, winter and summer.

At summer field trials in Texas I leave my dogs in a wire crate in the back of my White Expedition for the entire day, with the back hatch door open. They do just fine. But its roof is insulated better than a diamondplate box.
Never trust a dog to guard your food.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

If I had Mike's new Shorthairs, I would buy a Suburban and let them ride inside. I have used closed trucks like Suburbans and Blazers with crates since 1972. Right now I have a 4-Runner which also fits a couple of crates, but not much else.
OH Osthaus

Post by OH Osthaus »

a pair of Ruff-Tuffs in a 4runner

I can still haul enough gear for a hunt
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Thanks for the picture, but my one crate and a Wirehair in a Four Runner is enough. For short trips, two pups in one crate is not out of the question.