LOOKING FOR 12 SW 2 BARREL SET SOLD IN CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA

This forum is to be used to post A.H. Fox Gun parts and pieces from orphaned guns you own or you are searching for. This forum is NOT to be used to sell ANYTHING including complete guns or gun parts. This forum is NOT a marketplace but a bulletin board. All contacts between individuals are to be made through the forum PM system. No prices are to be posted. The main intent here is to marry parts with the original gun and to celebrate that reunion.
J. A. Early

LOOKING FOR 12 SW 2 BARREL SET SOLD IN CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA

Post by J. A. Early »

This was my late uncle's gun and I was there the night he sold it. But I was just a kid and it meant nothing to me then. It was a 12 gauge Philly Sterlingworth with either 28" or 30" Barrels. My uncle sent it back to Savage/Fox in the 40s or 50s and had a set of 26" I.C. and Mod. barrels made for it by Savage. It was sold to Mr. Gene Shifflett who ran an optical business in Charlottesville, VA who later sold it in Charlottesville.

I know it is a long shot, but maybe someone came by this gun. I would love to acquire the gun in memory of my uncle, who being raised in Georgia and then living in Virginia after WWII, was quite the quail hunter. Of all things he sold this gun after acquiring a Franchi 48-AL in 20 gauge, But he was a small guy and after he carried a Garand around I understand his wanting a lighter gun.
vaturkey

Re: LOOKING FOR 12 SW 2 BARREL SET SOLD IN CHARLOTTESVILLE,

Post by vaturkey »

Might have seen that gun. Check with Old Dominion Sports in Winchester Va. They have a 2 barrel set Sterlingworth there. One barrel was added later and it was either a Savage barrel or a Chippie Falls barrel. The gun was there just two weeks ago. Condition isn't great for sure.
J. A. Early

Post by J. A. Early »

Thank you for the info. I will check with them tomorrow. Maybe they can give some info as to where it came from.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Let us know. Got us really curious about this.
J. A. Early

Post by J. A. Early »

I called them and I am sure this is not his gun. The gun they have has both sets of barrels with tight chokes, and a Pachmayr pad has been added. I remember that it was a Philly gun with a second set from Savage. The gun they have has the Chicopee Falls address on both sets, so probably ordered that way or rebarreled as a two barrel set. But thanks for the tip. Please keep looking everyone.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

I'll be going into that shop in the next few weeks and will take a look just to confirm things and will let you know. I seriously doubt if they have anyway to measure chokes. PS. Maybe I can take a few pictures with my phone at the same time.
J. A. Early

Post by J. A. Early »

Thanks. That would be great.
SPE33

Post by SPE33 »

2 barrel set gun just listed on Guns International recently item # 101189260.Good luck with your search.
ylwdog

Post by ylwdog »

Cabelas Hoffman Estates IL has a Sterlingworth with a 2 barrel set and one is a later Savage. Marked w/same ser.#'s. give them a call 848-645-0432 (gun Library)
MC1952

Post by MC1952 »

A friend of mine bought a gun that matches this description in the Shenandoah Valley last year.
J. A. Early

Post by J. A. Early »

It could very well be the gun. I would guess he would not part with it. I bought an AE 12 with two sets to satisfy my search until I may be able to track one down that meets the description of my search.