Fox Advertising Henkels Designs

Use this section to discuss Fox paper, catalog's, advertising and such.
Henkels

Fox Advertising Henkels Designs

Post by Henkels »

Charles H. Henkels may have designed advertising for the Fox company. Charles H. Henkels (1876-1924) was active in the advertising business in Philadelphia. He was an active sportsman and we have his Ansley Fox shotgun (Serial #: 1810). He lived in Germantown and likely knew Fox.

His clients included the Tryon Company and he illustrated The history of a business established one hundred years ago, 1811-1911, Edw. K. Tryon Company, Philadelphia. The Tryon Co. was a wholesaler of Fox guns.

Charles H. Henkels was my grandfather, so I would be very interested in hearing information regarding Charles Henkels in relation to Ansley Fox.
Researcher

Re: Fox Advertising Henkels Designs

Post by Researcher »

The only scans of A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalogues I have on this computer are from the 1907 "Campfire" full-size "art" catalogue --

and the 1907 "Finest Gun in the World" pocket catalogue --

and the both show they were done by the Beck Engraving Co., Philadelphia.

I'll check some of my other A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalogues when I get home.
Share the knowledge
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

I looked through a 1915 E K Tryon catalogue that's handy but couldn't find credits for the designs and illustrations. One page offered to loan or sell electrotypes (period advertising cuts done on copper sheets). My take is that Tryon used electrotypes provided by its suppliers, i.e., A H Fox etc.; and also had etypes done up for its own Tryon brand-name products. No mention of who did that for Tryon.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

In the other years of "Finest Gun in the World" and "Campfire" catalogues I couldn't find an attribution as to who did them. The 1913 and 1914 gray "Fox Gets the Game" art catalogues carry a diamond shaped logo that states "Designed and Executed by Charles W. Hoyt New York and New Haven." The 1915 and 1916 brown "Fox Gets the Game" art catalogues in the same location state "McLAIN COMPANY Advertising Philadelphia."

I don't find any attribution for the printer , engraver or designer of any of the later A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalogues.
Share the knowledge