Fox-Sterlingworth Brochures

Use this section to discuss Fox paper, catalog's, advertising and such.
Researcher

Fox-Sterlingworth Brochures

Post by Researcher »

I have seen a number of different Savage-era Fox-Sterlingworth brochures, and am kind of pondering how many different ones there are. I have seen, but don't own, an early one with green and black printing on cream colored stock. The most common seem to be these --
Fox-Sterlingworth Folder 1936 & 1937 outside.jpeg
featuring Mike Stackhouse --
Mike Stackhouse Fox-Sterlingworth.jpg
with the line "FOX -- Faithful for over fifty years!" The one shown has the $39.50 price which was in effect from June 21, 1932 to 1935. I guess Ansley was over fifty then, but even his first guns made in Baltimore we only in their late 30s then!

I also have this blue brochure with the $42.85 price which was in effect in 1936 and 37 --
Fox-Sterlingworth Folder 1936 & 1937.jpeg
and I have one in orange with the $35 price which was in effect briefly in 1938 --
Fox-Sterlingworth Folder 1938.jpeg
Any others out there?
Share the knowledge
MARSHFELLOW

Re: Fox-Sterlingworth Brochures

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Nice Dave....I have never seen the "orange" variation....nor the green one. I'll check mine to see if there is any variation in text. Boy there had to be a nice supply of those "Smith Hardware" rubber stamped ones that surfaced, I have a couple and have seen a half a dozen others.

Who the heck is Mike Stackhouse?? I love your comment about the "over 50 yrs"....yeah, they were referring to Ansley no doubt. :lol:
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Those pictures of Mike Stackhouse were very popular in advertising in the 1930s. Here he is for Peters Cartridge Co. in the December 1933 Field & Stream and the gun is a Parker --
Mike Stackhouse Peters.jpg
This same picture but with the case of shells being Remington Nitro Club, was used in the PGCA 2008 calander.

Here is the same picture of Mike changed to Miller High Life beer in the November 1939 issue of National Sportsman --
Mike Stackhouse Miller High Life.jpg
Everybody!! Lets look through your old sporting magazines from the 1930s and see if we can find more pictures of Mike Stackhouse!!
Share the knowledge
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

That's hysterical!!!......where do you come up with this stuff Researcher???? Ok, so again I ask, who the heck is this guy???

tjw
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

I didn't think beer was available in cans back then but obviuosly in November of 1939, there it was. I was just 3 years old then and not tall enough to order my beer at the bar to see what was available. Was Utica Club available back then Tom?

Mike Stackhouse looks like the kind of guy you'd like to sit ddown with and have a cold one. As Marsh says, "who is this guy?".

I checked my Fox stuff and no Sterlingworth brochures.

Jolly
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Mike Stackhouse was apparently an old Barnegat bayman, that a photographer, I think Cy LaTour, took several pictures of and they seemed to get used in several period advertisements.
Share the knowledge

Post by 200052 »

Dave: It appears to me that the $42 Sterlingworth brochures are the most common, I've seen dozens of them. Only rarely have I
seen the $37 version. I have never had in hand a $35 one, and I wondered if the inside foremat is the same as others except the $35 price. The red and blue $42 ones I have have very slightly different content.
If anyone has a green and black version, it would be a real treat to see a good color picture.
kgb

Post by kgb »

Looks like they could photoshop guns, shells and beer back then. Nothing new under the sun.
Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The brochure that had green ink was a different format, but I couldn't bring myself to pay a McKune price for it.
Share the knowledge
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Ok, so how did you find out this guy's name?? I dont see it in the ads. BTW, I had to google Barnegat bayman cuz I had no clue what that is/meant neither. Are you leading me down a primrose path here David???

I'd really like to find one of these green/black pamphlets now.

Jolly, yeah Utica Club was definately around....second oldest(1888) brewery in our country....and the very first to resume shipping at the end of Prohibition.

tjw
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Stackhouse was identified by PGCA members a while back if I recall correctly. The gun was somehow identified as a fluid steel ten gauge. One of the ex-Remington employees in PGCA provided the information, I think.
scaupman

Post by scaupman »

x
Last edited by scaupman on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DSizemore

Post by DSizemore »

Very neat story. You should have inquired about guns. I would suspect they were not shooting model 12s. Thanks.
scaupman

Post by scaupman »

x
Last edited by scaupman on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Cool story Al........yeah, those were the days.

I've gotta find me one of these "green" Sterlingworth brochures. Dave, I got to ask, how much did Pat want for it at the time? You know that I know that you know you should have bought it.

tjw