Fox-Sterlingworth Brochures

Use this section to discuss Fox paper, catalog's, advertising and such.
Researcher

Re: Fox-Sterlingworth Brochures

Post by Researcher »

At the time, as I recall he had $145 on it.
Share the knowledge
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Thanks David. Your orange one is the only one that I have ever seen too. Excellent thread.

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Scaupman, I don't know why we don't know more about Glenn L. Martin and his outdoor activities, but such information is scarce, even in Maryland. However, not too many years ago, I stopped at a yard/estate sale at an elegant old home in Timonium, Maryland. I talked to an uncommonly attractive lady, about ten years my senior, who told me that there was virtually nothing left and she was throwing boxes of "stuff" in a dumpster. The home was being emptied and I was not sure whether she was the owner or not. I asked if I could look in the detached garage in case there were some tools left. I found a large wooden box about half filled with decoy weights of several types. I asked the lady whether they were for sale and she told me that $25 would buy the box. We arranged for me to drive my truck over the manicured lawn to pick up the weights, which were too much for the box. I asked about decoys and she told me that all the decoys had been picked over the last couple of weekends. She indicated that there had been a bunch. I loaded the weights into several smaller boxes since I couldn't lift the wooden box they were in. A good portion of the weights were massive lathe turned stainless steel cylinders with poured lead inserts housing heavy wire loops. I couldn't even attempt to estimate how much it would cost to duplicate those weights today. I have no provenance on these weights, but no one but Glenn L. Martin would have the facilities and resourses to have his employees turn out such extravagant waterfowling paraphernalia. I asked the name of the person who owned the home and it was not Glenn L. Martin. The box also contained dozens of other well made lead weights of three or four different types. However, the stainless weights are the stars of the collection. The number of weights indicated the existence of an enormous stool of offshore decoys in older times.
scaupman

Post by scaupman »

x
Last edited by scaupman on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I just layed out my three Fox-Sterlingworth brochures and compared them word for word. Other than prices, the differences are very slight. The blue ones on the specifications page show "Stock: American walnut, full capped pistol grip, checkered." The orange one has "Stock: American walnut, full pistol grip, checkered." The two blue ones have the SVG in a circle logo and the orange one doesn't. The blue one with the $42.85 price and the ornge one has "Form 34" on the bottom of the back page, while the blue one with the $39.50 price has no form number.
Share the knowledge
EasternShoreman

Post by EasternShoreman »

Wow...this is great stuff...would LOVE to get one of those blue brohures for the 42.85 price...my new SW is a 1936, so the princely sum would have been paid for my 12ga SW.

Pat
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Reviving an old thread. Went through and redid the photos with direct links to free it from the Photobucket.com hostage taking.

While waiting to shoot skeet at the Coeur d'Alene Skeet & Trap Club today I was thumbing through the December 2018 issue of ShotgunSports, and my jaw hit the floor when I saw this --
ShotgunSports, December 2018
ShotgunSports, December 2018
Since this thread was started we have also come up with what I would consider a late version of the Fox-Sterlingworth brochure with no price printed in it --
Fox-Sterlingworth Folder 1939 on.jpg
Fox-Sterlingworth Folder 1939 on.jpg (25.34 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
The inflation leading up to WW-II was moving prices up faster than they could use up a batch of brochures.

And, I think what I believed was a green ink Fox-Sterlingworth brochure was the complete catalog folder Jason recently came up with.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8541
Share the knowledge