12ga Sterlingworth Rebuild

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox custom project or share information about custom projects. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Goldenfox

12ga Sterlingworth Rebuild

Post by Goldenfox »

I finally picked up my completed 12 ga Sterlingworth that started out as a rusted, dented-barreled, oil soaked and crack-stocked beater. I don't have any pictures of the gun before the start of the project, but I can tell you that after I had the dents raised, I put in over 25 hours of honing and polishing the pits and dents out of the #2 weight barrels. I polished them down to 400 grit. I found a nice stick of American black walnut at Watt's Walnut and had Steve Bertram fit it to me. I can't be more pleased. The gun fits, and as usual, for a gun that fits, it doesn't feel as heavy as the 7# 6oz would seem. The balance is right at the hinge pin (30" barrels and a dense stock). I now have an upgraded Sterlingworth. Some may think that the stock is overkill for a Sterly, but it would have cost just as much for Steve to make stock from a straight grained, plain piece of walnut. Besides, I have an addiction to fine wood that started with my 4 years of high school woodshop.
The serial number of 994,941 indicates a 1924 date of manufacture. It is choked M/IM, which I left alone.

ImageThis shows the bondo build-up on the old stock to get the proper dimensions, as well as the polished barrels.
ImageYou can see the oil-saturated stock head and forend here.
ImageHeading up the new stock.
ImageThe duplicated stock.
ImageDefinitely a Sterlingworth.
ImageI left the patina of the old Sterly intact.
[/img]
[img]file:///C:/Users/Charlie/Pictures/2014-03-21/Hunting/856.jpg[/img]
vaturkey

Re: 12ga Sterlingworth Rebuild

Post by vaturkey »

Really a nice looking gun. Something about putting a nice stick of walnut on a classic that is special indeed. Watts has some really nice american black walnut for sure.
abner

Post by abner »

It is great to see another Fox saved for you and the next generations--it is good for another 100 years! I see many Fox shotguns in this condition and most are just passed by, but below all the dust, oil, and dents are the same parts for a graded Fox. You really put many hours of work and sweat and should be proud--it makes me think of the Model T's and Model A's saved from the junk yards.
Ralph
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

That stock is definitely NOT overkill. We're just jealous. Very, very cool!
tnmike

Post by tnmike »

Great pics and a worthy project. Nicely done and respectful of its past. Upgraded stock just makes it better.