28 gauge barrels

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox custom project or share information about custom projects. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
JNW

28 gauge barrels

Post by JNW »

Anyone have a set of 28 ga barrels made for their small frame Fox? I was thinking of have a set of 20 gauge barrels sleeved for 28 ga tubes.
Thanks,
Jeff
eightbore

Re: 28 gauge barrels

Post by eightbore »

Sleeving would be the way to go. Any other method would be $$$$$$
MKETOOL

Post by MKETOOL »

I actually had this done to an old Parker 20 gauge last year. The only place I could find to do it was Briley. I was not very impressed with their work. The rust bluing was so so. They left some pitting on the outside of the old barrel section of the monoblock. And the gun came back slightly off face. In my opinion I would not send another gun to them. The price has also gone up since I did it. I have thought about doing the same thing to a fox 20 myself. You can buy barrels from Galazan/Connecticut shotgun for about $400 each. There sure is a lot of labor involved in the project like this. I converted an old J P Sauer 12 gauge into a 405 Winchester double rifle a few years back. It took forever but came out pretty good. Get the book (Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Actions) by W. Ellis Brown to see how the process is done.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Were the barrels regulated properly when you got them back from Briley? I know two shooters who have had two different results with sleeving at Briley. One, who lives near Briley, tells me to never let them sleeve a gun, the other has had three or four Parkers successfully sleeved by them. I dunno.

SRH
JNW

Post by JNW »

Anyone ever talk to Kirk Merrington about this? I would think he is more than capable. Haven't contacted him yet as this is still just a thought rambling around my head.
Thanks,
Jeff
JNW

Post by JNW »

Anyone ever talk to Kirk Merrington about this? I would think he is more than capable. Haven't contacted him yet as this is still just a thought rambling around my head.
Thanks,
Jeff
SmithShady

Post by SmithShady »

We ran into a gentleman at Hausmann's last year who turned an original set of Fox 20ga barrels (obtained in the white with no boring or chokes) into a set of 28ga tubes. If I recall correctly the barrels had no forcing cones or chokes, even when it was completed, basically straight tubes all the way down. I want to say he had more than one set of Barrels in different gauges for the gun. Pretty neat custom work.

Mike
"Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Gleedaniel13

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

We ran into a gentleman at Hausmann's last year who turned an original set of Fox 20ga barrels (obtained in the white with no boring or chokes) into a set of 28ga tubes. If I recall correctly the barrels had no forcing cones or chokes, even when it was completed, basically straight tubes all the way down. I want to say he had more than one set of Barrels in different gauges for the gun. Pretty neat custom work.
he should be the right guy to come for. We can rely on their guns actually. :)
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The late Bill Harvey oversaw and did the stock work on the construction of this 28-gauge built out of a 20-gauge Lefever DS-Grade 20-gauge.

I never got any documentation from Bill, but he told me that Kirk Merrington did the barrels and the engraving was by Jacqueline Mains, who use to engrave Ithaca SBT for a while.
Share the knowledge