Custom Fox on the Sporting Course

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox custom project or share information about custom projects. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Silvers

Custom Fox on the Sporting Course

Post by Silvers »

It's been about a month since I did any sporting and today the gang got together despite the rain and mud. Wanted to share a few pics of the custom Fox I used today. It was done up in the 1960's in California. I don't know who did the stocking but it's a nice job and the wood looks like claro at least to me. She's a 1924 AE, 12-gauge with 30-inch tubes, chokes are about Lt Mod and Improved Mod. Has a nice smallish beavertail fore-arm. Metal is original. Chambers are 2-5/8" and I shot one of my my regular 1-ounce sporting loads done up in Remington GC hulls with Cheddite primers. I'll leave that that old Pachmayr pad on the gun. That's what she was done with, and it will stay. Nice retro look imo.

Fox looks a little lonesome here with 5 gas guns -

She really rocked today.
Last edited by Silvers on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Big Friend Ten

Re: Custom Fox on the Sporting Course

Post by Big Friend Ten »

Hey Frank!

That is one heck of a nice Fox! I must however ask what are those funny looking things standing on her flanks? :lol: Maybe some day those shooters will learn...

Mark
arcmaster

Post by arcmaster »

She is definitely much more attractive than the Italian's that are surrounding her!!!
JNW

Post by JNW »

That second "gas" gun on the right has 2 barrels and was made on Honshu Island in Japan! Nice Fox. I'm tempted to get one of those release trigger decals for the grip cap on one of my double trigger guns.
Glad to see you shooting that nice Fox. I try telling people that breaking a target with a classic SxS is much more satisfying than shooting a modern gun, but they don't pay attention unless I outshoot them.
Regards,
Jeff
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

It's easy to miss the first gas gun on the left. Its butt on the ground, and barrel and front end of the magazine tube are visable. :) Besides the Fox there are 5 gas guns and 1 o/u in the first pic.
JNW

Post by JNW »

Saw the other Beretta on the left. I guess we can just ignore the Browning? Hopefully your shooting buds will have some of your class rub off on them. Beretta has made fine SxS shotguns for a long time. Or, they could duct tape 2 A400s together.
Regards,
Jeff
SmithShady

Post by SmithShady »

I own nothing but side by sides, but if I were going to purchase a gas gun, that Beretta Excel A400 would be at the top of my list. Someone handed me one at the five stand a while back and with the recoil suppression option on the butt, it was awesome to shoot.

Nice looking Fox there Frank!

Mike
"Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

arcmaster wrote:She is definitely much more attractive than the Italian's that are surrounding her!!!

That's no lie!! The guns do look better than their owners!! :shock: Funny, those vintage guns pretty much whoop up on the veg-o-matics and J.A. Pan Co. guns every week.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Yup, a Beretta A400 is an awesome gun. I could probably go to my weekly winter or summer sporting clays league and gain a target or two over my Parker scores. I can't imagine what the point would be, since the purses are in the ten to twenty dollar range and the Lewis classes pay off on random scores. There is no non sanctioned clay target event that would make you rich because you shot a high tech automatic and shot a score two or four targets above the "techy" shooters. By the way, at our pigeon club, side by sides dominate the purses, even though many Beretta, Fabbri, and Krieghoffs are shot by participants.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Well said, Bill. Back out shooting today. 10 of us met for breakfast and then off to Rock Mountain for the 100 bird main course. Nice balmy day at 27-degrees and cloud-covered sky AGAIN (13 days and counting without any sun). :x We split into 2 squads and I'm happy to say the Fox came in with second highest score of the 10 guns ..... 6 gas guns, 3 o/u's and the Fox. Yah I know some of you are thinking it's the Indian, not the arrow ..... but at least six of the 10 are pretty accomplished shooters. To me, there's nothing like a SxS for crossing or quartering birds. Here are some additional pics, this time with my phone camera.