Which would make the better canvas?

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox custom project or share information about custom projects. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
gwsmith

Which would make the better canvas?

Post by gwsmith »

I've been contemplating a Fox 20 gauge project for awhile now. Just finishing up restoring a Super Fox that I hope to use yet this duck season in North Carolina - and need something else to work on. Do I need a custom 20 gauge - no - but my chances of owning a high grade original Fox 20 are about slim (and if I did - I'm not sure I'd want to carry it hunting). Not sure exactly what I want to do yet (upgrade to standard DE or do something completely custom).

So - if you were going to begin a Fox project and wanted a 20 gauge ejector as a platform - would you rather start with a Sterlingworth - or an original gun kit from Pumpkin Mountain? There are a couple of nice 20 gauge ejector Sterlingworth's out there for $4,000 or a little more. Not cheap - but they are hard to find so I doubt they're getting any cheaper. For the same ballpark - you can purchase a complete gun kit with 28" ejector barrels. I would probably use my own wood either way - and I'm not sure there's a real difference in choosing either of these - but just curious what folks with more experience/knowledge would think.
eightbore

Re: Which would make the better canvas?

Post by eightbore »

In my opinion, the best platform for a custom is a low mileage gun, needing no mechanical repairs, in rusty, neglected condition. My Fox project gun is a $450 early A. It was tight as a tick, but stock was broken at the wrist and the trigger guard was bent badly. I wouldn't even consider starting a project with a $4000 gun. By the way, a 16 gauge Fox can be brought in at the same weight as a 20 at a lower cost for the basic gun, usually.
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Definitely go with a fully functional but cosmetically challenged complete gun and unless you cannot live without ejectors, which I find annoying, an extractor 16 gauge gun can be found at roughly half the cost of a 20. Additionally if you are wanting barrels more than 28 inches which seem to be in vogue right now you are much more likely to find a 16 gauge with longer barrels than a 20.
gwsmith

Post by gwsmith »

Thanks guys - I have a CSMC 16 gauge as well as an older Sterlingworth. I understand they are easier to come by than a 20 gauge - but a Fox 20 is really what's missing from the safe right now. I appreciate the help - will keep looking for the perfect "donor" gun.