Time for new wood

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox custom project or share information about custom projects. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
setterspell

Time for new wood

Post by setterspell »

I finally gave in to the reality that my 20ga. Sterlingworth needed new wood. It had been glued and re-glued through a century of seasons enjoyed by others but it was time to "just do it". While sitting in the bleachers of a junior high basketball game in the winter of 2009, a Dad started a conversation with "Well I burned up that big old walnut tree today.." naturally I was curious and questioned him about the size. A few days later I found myself at his home for New Years Eve. Looking out onto his field in the fading daylight I could make out a large log (30" dia.) with a brush pile on it . "Is that whats left of the big old walnut?" Yep. Being a scavenger at heart I asked if I could come by that week with my saw. So with permission I returned armed with my harryhomeowner saw and laid into it. I ended up with some nice blanks from the first fork area which had been about 10 feet above the ground before the wind blew it over. The tree had been standing dead a few years so it was already quite dry but I painted the edges and put them up. Using the original worn out stock as a starting point,and using shims and body putty I added 5/8" to the lop raised the comb to 1 1/4 and 2 3/8 and offset the butt plate for 1/8 cast off. Plus fluted the nose of the comb. I've had it out on some clays this past summer and it seems to hit where I look.
Im still quite a way from completion but I thought I might share some pics of progress. Still undecided on checkering pattern. Not in a hurry anyway :wink:
I had the forend ready to checker then decided to go for the x grade length. I will have it turned in a week or so
Ithaca33

Re: Time for new wood

Post by Ithaca33 »

Amazing! I'd love to tackle a project like that some day
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Very nice! How did you duplicate the stock? Nice choice on the longer fore end. I like them too.
Big Friend Ten

Post by Big Friend Ten »

That's a great piece of wood for a Sterlingworth!
fnj682

Post by fnj682 »

Great use of an old dead tree that would have otherwise gone back into the earth! Very nice! Please post pictures after you get it completed.
setterspell

Post by setterspell »

Big Friend Ten wrote:That's a great piece of wood for a Sterlingworth!
I had my choice of 5 good blanks from the days effort with the saw so I thought it would be nice on a 20ga. I actually started looking for a C grade project gun as soon as I had the wood but after a multi year search I couldn't find a suitable candidate. Still holding onto some comparable wood in case I come across such a gun.
setterspell

Post by setterspell »

Heres the new longer forend. Feels great! It ended up 8.75" which to me seemed just right for a 20ga. The earlier pics show a forend blank that I had chosen but unfortunately it was ruined by the 'smith. Needless to say I was not happy and have learned a lesson. On the other hand I've learned a lot about stockmaking and am not nearly as intimidated at the prospect of trying another sometime. Next I'll try my hand at checkering and if it comes out alright I will look at upgrading the engraving. No, not by me
setterspell

Post by setterspell »

Mike of the Mountain wrote:Very nice! How did you duplicate the stock? Nice choice on the longer fore end. I like them too.
Mike,by using the original stock as a "platform" to hold narrow shims and bondo but maintaining a Foxy look, I got the dimensions I wanted. Then a friend of a friend 5hrs away in N.Carolina turned it in his duplicator. He did an excellent job on the butt and forend. At the last minute I decided to go for the longer forend and used a local 'smith thats done some nice rust bluing for me in the past. We are still on good terms but he won't be doing anymore wood for me.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Absolutely beautiful. Everyday I am amazed at the skill level of the AHFCA members. I wouldn't dare "swapping" stocks that were ready to install, and I certainly wouldn't dream of "whittling" my own. I'm in awe.
setterspell

Post by setterspell »

UPDATE- Checkering completed. After much deliberation I came up with a pattern that is a C style hybrid. Cheeks may or may not get done, still thinkin on it. Its been a long journey but Ive enjoyed the creativity.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Looks super completed. Two thumbs up. :)
setterspell

Post by setterspell »

Thanks, it was a long road but I'm glad I did it. Looking forward to using it this weekend.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

This is no common gun. Go for the checkered cheeks, even X Grade style wouldn't look out of place.
mike campbell

Post by mike campbell »

How about a profile pic of just the action? The glimpse I get in one pic suggests it's shaped a bit differently than any I've seen.
Beware the man with one gun...he likely will bore you to death in others ways, too.
setterspell

Post by setterspell »

Mike, I don't think theres anything out of the ordinary about the reciever other than its a little more rounded than some.
fwiw, its in the 253xxx range