Fox Sterlingworth 12ga Project

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox custom project or share information about custom projects. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
MKETOOL

Fox Sterlingworth 12ga Project

Post by MKETOOL »

I have started on a new project. I am customizing a 1912 Pin Gun Fox Sterlingworth 12ga with Ejectors. I am making it into a pheasant gun to take to South Dakota next September. I have it stripped and I am starting the metal work. I am putting two beads on the fences and will scallop the back of the action. I am not totally sure how I am going to engrave it yet but I think it will have a lot of gold inlays. I hope to get it down under 7 lbs and balanced in the hinge pin. I will try to keep everyone updated on my progress.

eightbore

Re: Fox Sterlingworth 12ga Project

Post by eightbore »

You should document the entire saga of your Sterlingworth. It has been done somewhat before, but never to completion. Go for it. More pictures. How long are those barrels?
MKETOOL

Post by MKETOOL »

The barrels are 30 inches but I may cut them down to get a perfect balance. If I do cut them to 28" I will have to put in choke tubes. I am going to strike the wording off the barrels because I am planning on engraving them. They weigh almost 4 pounds by themselves so they must be number 1 weight, but they are not marked. I hope to shave some weight off of them when I strike them. I have ordered new wood from Gunville/Silver Hill Gunstocks in NC. It will be roughed out but with enough wood left on so I can finish it to my dimensions. I ordered their exhibition grade English walnut but it really is not exhibition grade (more like AA or AAA) but it is pretty good for the price, $325.00 roughed out. I have done some stock work before but it is going to be a challenge inletting the fancy back scalloping. This will be the first gun I will complete with me doing all of the work including the engraving.
MKETOOL

Post by MKETOOL »

More Progress:

JNW

Post by JNW »

Don't cut those barrels! The gap at the muzzle will be incredibly unseemly on a custom gun. If those barrels are that heavy you may not reach 7#. Figure out what they need to weigh and send them to Briley. They can measure the wall thickness and backbore it to take out weight. Unless you have an excellent wall thickness gauge it is difficult to file the outside and know if you are safe. If this is going to be a pheasant gun you'll like the 30" barrels. I have a 30" AE 12 gauge with 4 weight barrels and it goes over 7 1/4 pounds. The new pistol grip stock is AAA/Exhibition black walnut and is quite dense. Good luck with your project. I do a little of my own work but nothing like what you're doing.
Regards,
Jeff
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

IMO I'd rather strike the barrels to remove the weight as compared to having them backbored by Briley. If you have number 1 weight barrels you will have plenty of steel to work with. That said, I guess it never hurts to have the barrel wall thickness checked and I'd do that on any gun I was buying anyway.
MKETOOL

Post by MKETOOL »

Some small progress. Filed and Sanded with 100 grit paper.

vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Great progress indeed. Neat project for sure.
MKETOOL

Post by MKETOOL »

Thank you vaturkey. I have really enjoyed looking at all of your projects on this forum, they are phenomenal. They have given me a lot of inspiration.
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Great project to fill in the time on these long winter nights! Metalwork is really taking shape and looking good. Love the scallop edge and rebates. I get "pucker factor" just thinking about doing that metalwork!! :shock:
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Cutting the barrels is a little over the top. I have half heartedly mentioned that my 12 gauge Sterlingworth 28" ejector gun weighs 6 pounds 12 ounces and probably could be cut down to 6 pounds 4 ounces or less by thoughtful wood and metal work. You should start with a gun that is more closely identified with your target weight unless you want to be disappointed.
MKETOOL

Post by MKETOOL »

Took a little break on the shotgun for the holidays. Decided to engrave my zippo, there are a lot of cigars waiting to be lit up in style.

MilRob

Post by MilRob »

Nice work...Finished product will no doubt be impressive.
MKETOOL

Post by MKETOOL »

One more I did.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

GWPs?