Starting a project

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox custom project or share information about custom projects. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
ROMAC

Re: Starting a project

Post by ROMAC »

It might need a few tweaks but the engraving is basically done. I'm going up to Geoffroy's studio to go over any minor final details and settle up this week. Probably going to French Gray it but I wanted the engraving to be bold enough to not get lost whether it was cased colored or grayed.

My initials, RTM, are highly stylized on the trigger guard.

It has been a long time coming but worth the wait. Still need the barrels blued and the stock checkered and two forends done but they are getting close as well. Should be able to see at Ernie's in June if it all falls into place.
Attachments
gge.jpg
gg5.jpg
gg1.jpg
gg2.jpg
Last edited by ROMAC on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

That is so, so nice, Roger. I can't wait to see pics of the finished gun. Wouldn't it be nice if you could actually see what a gun would look like with case-hardened colors, with French grey, and with other treatments, beforehand? Then we would really know. But, the French gray should look very nice. Awesome engraving by GG.

Well done. SRH
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Dang Roger, that turned out super nice. I hope it is finished at Ernie's so I can drool all over it. :)
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

I got on the road early this morning and took a drive to Geoffroy Gournet's place in Bethlehem, PA. Afterwards, I put the pedal the metal out of there and got back to my local train station in time to jump on my Septa train to get to work in center city Philadelphia by 11:15. Let's just say speed limits were meant to be broken.

Anyway, he and I went over some final tweaks and he should be wrapping things up shortly. I just want to say that I was thrilled with the workmanship. Holding it in my hands gave me way more satisfaction than any picture ever could. Geoffroy and I took a few pictures and then I beat it out of there.

It was kind of a funny thing. Later, after I was on the train, I was just finishing up going through all of my emails when I realized I was just approaching Wayne Junction! I took a quick peek out of the window and I just caught a glimpse of what is left of the old factory as we went by. I almost missed it. Normally, if I think about it I'll almost always take a peek as we go by.

I started to think of all that went on there back in time and it reminded me of what I said to Geoffroy when I commissioned the work with him what is now several years ago. I told him to make it look like something that he would have done if he worked there back in the day. No flying turnips or quail with space helmets and make it deep LOL!! I think he caught the essence of what I was hoping for perfectly.

Hopefully it will be just about done in time for the NE SXS event in June.
Attachments
IMG_43022.jpg
Last edited by ROMAC on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Roger, what a fantastic Fox and just a few months to go ….. woohoo. Geoffroy sure did some realistic and boldly chiseled engraving. I like it a lot. Congrats!!! I look forward to seeing your Fox at Hidden Hollow.

PS: Geoffroy's front room and that cabinet in the background look about like the last time I was there about 3 years ago. Good things are very slow to change, kind of like the Fox factory building.

frank
Aan
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

That is some project, Roger. I could never wait that long. Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Jim,

Having never done this before, I don't think I would have wanted to wait this long had I known going in how long it could take. I'm usually not that patient.

There were some extenuating circumstances though. First off I had to get in line, then the second set of barrels from the white and all the various ejector pieces that had to be fitted probably gave Dan some fits. While I never pushed the process hard, I did try to keep the lines of communication open just enough to let Dan know that I had not forgotten about it. It was easy to put things off until we could meet every June at the NE SXS.

The whole process has been very educational. It actually gave me time to allow my ideas to evolve on the one hand, and also time to unload a safe or two full of guns that I had accumulated over time to offset most of the cost on the other. I also never stopped looking for deals and buying guns that caught my eye, so I had plenty of things going on to keep me occupied. I think I will be much more content with this than a bunch of shooter grade guns that don't fit me all that well due to my 15 inch LOP and cast on for a lefty.

I have another walnut blank set squirreled away and have been thinking about what I want to do with it but I'm in no hurry. I'm still relatively young and in good health. Who knows, maybe another one in time for a retirement gift for myself would be just the ticket.
Attachments
IMG_4297.JPG
IMG_42991.jpg
Last edited by ROMAC on Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

Roger, that is truly a beautiful piece of work and a benchmark reference gun for anyone considering a true custom gun. Kevin
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

So, I was asked what the tweaks were. It's done now so here goes.

Geoffroy needed to finish the engraving in the knuckle area under the receiver and dress the end of the rib extensioon with a thin gold line and engrave the area that mates with the receiver.

It's being shipped back to Dan now.
Attachments
IMG_2320 (2).JPG
IMG_2318 (2).JPG
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

I Hope to see the gun close to being finished on Friday at Hauseman's.

I have not bugged Dan for pictures since it was shipped to him after being engraved in the beginning of February, so it could be case colored, blued, and checkered, or not!

I guess I will just have to wait and see.
gunsrus

Post by gunsrus »

Looking forward to following the progress . Currently Dan has three of my projects . All 30" barrels , Restock and complete redo .
One A Grade double triggers 20 gauge
One CE Grade single trigger 16 gauge
One CE Grade double trigger 16 gauge
Mine come first ....... :lol:
Al
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Here is a peek at how the case coloring came out. I am really glad I went with the deep relief engraving. This is the point in the process where a lot of the detail usually gets lost on some of the custom guns I've seen.

The engraving is still very distinct.

I can still opt for a French grey finish but I'm thinking I might like to see how it wears in for a season or two before making a final decision.

The wood is almost ready for checkering too!
Attachments
IMG_3676 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3668 (002) - Copy.JPG
IMG_3670.JPG
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

ROMAC wrote:Here is a peek at how the case coloring came out. I am really glad I went with the deep relief engraving. This is the point in the process where a lot of the detail usually gets lost on some of the custom guns I've seen.

The engraving is still very distinct.

I can still opt for a French grey finish but I'm thinking I might like to see how it wears in for a season or two before making a final decision.

The wood is almost ready for checkering too!
Damn Roger that is fantastic. Have you decided whether the checkering will be a Fox pattern, or something more custom? Anyway, I'm sure you are glad its just about time to pick it up and head for the range.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

That case coloring looks great, Roger. Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Tom,

I chose a pattern that will closely resemble a DE "Special" I saved pictures of and shared with Dan.

He said he was up for the challenge.