A STERLING(WORTH) KIND OF DAY

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
J. A. Early

A STERLING(WORTH) KIND OF DAY

Post by J. A. Early »

Never believe the weatherman. Went to bed just knowing it would be raining as predicted. Got up to a beautiful day before light and had the decoys out. Took two Sterlingworths, one 28" M & F and a 30" IC & M. Started out with the open gun hoping they would not be too far. It proved to be the one I would use. Improved Cylinder makes a good shooter even better. Not as good of shooting as the other day, but still good enough. Much fewer birds as three people had hunted them hard on Sunday per the lady that lives there. I wish VA had not allowed Sunday hunting but that is me, growing up with no hunting then and giving the game a day of rest.

Noticed a callus on my thumb that was hard. Could not figure out what caused it. Then noticed it was bleeding. Then finally figured it out as the skin was hanging off my thumb. Sterlingworth thumb. Apparently the slots cut into the safety are pretty sharp. I've seen them altered. Now I know why. It got me every time I shot. I broke the thumb many years ago playing softball so I tend to keep it straight and don't bend it. It got used to being straight all of the time while in a brace. I guess that is why it gets hit by this gun. But it is the only gun that has ever done this.
STERLINGWORTH 9-29-20 ROSSONS.JPG
Attachments
STERLINGWORTH THUMB resized.JPG
Last edited by J. A. Early on Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff S

Re: A STERLING(WORTH) KIND OF DAY

Post by Jeff S »

Nice picture of the pooch, guns and the birds. You must be a fine shot. When I first purchased my Simson, the safety was so stiff it tore up my thumb. It required a trip to the gunsmith, but now it works much better.
J. A. Early

Post by J. A. Early »

My thumb was damaged by the recoil of the serrated safety button hitting my thumb after firing. I can push it off without problem, it is just that my thumb resides right beside the safety and it tore it open.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

I understand. Sacrifice your thumb, and get the birds. There will be time for it to heal after the season closes.