More Fox action in Pennsy

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
Silvers

More Fox action in Pennsy

Post by Silvers »

A long time ago an old timer told me something to the effect that you'll find the birds if you find the food. Here's a pic of a big and fully fanned grouse I got yesterday along with one of its crop that was filled with bayberries. The berries are scarce this year up in the mountains but I found one place on a northeast facing slope that was loaded with them. This is slow walk up hunting as I like to do. All together I flushed 4 grouse in 5 hours (three in the last hour) and only shot at the one I bagged. The Fox is the straight-grip 20b Sterlingworth that's shown here on some other hunting threads. Shell was a Kent Gamebore, 28 gram load of bare 7-shot.

For those interested I've included some pics of the first cover hunted and a small coal mine I found there ….. "dogholes" as they were called when I was a kid. It’s across from another much larger mine opening and may have been an exploratory slope. The mine roof has almost collapsed at the entrance and the accessway that probably had a small gauge coal car track is mostly filled in, but you'll get the idea where men labored over a century ago. As my Dad often said, they deserved heaven.
IMG_3937-1.jpg
IMG_3956-1.jpg
IMG_3929-1.jpg
IMG_3928-1.jpg
IMG_3927-1.jpg
Last edited by Silvers on Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: More Fox action in Pennsy

Post by fox-admin »

Beautiful bird. Same way with waterfowl, if u find the food source you will be on birds. Very interesting coal country finding the remnants of an industry that built America.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Thanks for those great pictures, Frank. I love seeing the countryside around where you hunt. Sounds like a pretty fruitful day, moving four birds.

I used to deer hunt in an area about 1 1/2 hrs. from me, above the fall line, where there were several entrances to old abandoned gold mines. Your pic reminded me of them.

SRH
Rbishop

Post by Rbishop »

Beautiful grouse! Thanks for posting these pics of your hunting grounds. Very informative and interesting!
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Frank,

Nice day in the field and great telling of the story.

Those solo strolls are some of the best times in my opinion. I think it heightens the senses to be alone walking. Colors are brighter, scents are stronger and the memory seered into our brains is personal, ours alone. To me it does not get any better than that.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

What a wonderful way to spend a day away from the hustle and bustle. Nice going Frank.
Those solo hunting days recharge my soul as well as I'm sure they do yours. I admire your persistence and success without a dog. You are truly blessed as we all are who can enjoy this season in the woods.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Nice bird and great pictures. I think you would make a great "ambassador" for the State of Pennsylvania. :)
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Great pictures, Frank. They give me the feel of hunting I want to do, but can't anymore. Keep them coming.
Jim
PS - Those Bayberries are something!
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Thank you for those great pictures and the story that accompanies the pictures. You are a very good storyteller, I have missed hunting after a 40 year lay off, your stories help me relive my younger days hunting.
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Thank you for those great pictures and the story that accompanies the pictures. You are a very good storyteller, I have missed hunting after a 40 year lay off, your stories help me relive my younger days hunting.
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

Beautiful bird, beautiful gun and beautiful woods, not to mention the story. Thank you, Frank. Kevin
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Thanks all for your comments. I appreciate each and every one of you taking the time to reply.

frank
Aan
jimmartin

Post by jimmartin »

Frank nice bird, you sure are right about looking for food, myself I look for thornapples also called hawthorn. I also like #7 shot .
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Frank,
It has to be great just walking in that great looking habitat. A nice bonus if you get some flushes.