first woodcock with my new 16 gauge fox

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
glassman48

first woodcock with my new 16 gauge fox

Post by glassman48 »

I purchased a 16 gauge fox sterlingworth a couple of weeks ago. Jeff S. and I went hunting Saturday and he was trying his best to get me a shot at a bird. And I was trying my best to get him shots:) I had one of my best days hunting today with my brittany, he probably had a half dozen points on grouse and another half dozen on woodcock. The grouse always ran, I had two pretty good glimpses at the grouse, but didn't shoot. I shot 5 times at woodcock, and finally knocked one down, and my brittany found him. I think the flight birds are finally here, I have hunted this area before, and there seems to be more woodcock than normal in the area now. I will try to post a picture.
Attachments
1st woodcock with fox.jpg
67galaxie

Re: first woodcock with my new 16 gauge fox

Post by 67galaxie »

Cool bird and I love a 16 gauge
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Thanks Galaxie67,
I was using a fox A grade 12 gauge, it was pretty heavy, it worked great for pheasants, but it was pretty tough in the cover I am going through. This gun is a shooter, so I am dragging it around everywhere without much fear of scratches etc. I think the 16 gauge weighs around 6 and a half pounds, a digital scale is next on my list:)
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Nice picture and congratulations on the woodcock.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Way to go, Ed! Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Thanks Jim and Jeff S.
Jim, Thanks for all your kind words in here, I really appreciate it. Jeff S. the 3rd place I took you on saturday was near where I went yesterday. Across the street where I pointed out the large pine trees, the area was so full of grouse and woodcock, I just started laughing out loud. One point, a woodcock went up, I shot twice, watched him carefully and marked where he flew to, I was opening my gun when I realized cash was still on point, still being somewhat exhausted and lightheaded from my hunting excursion with Jeff S. last saturday :) I was to slow to recognize that there might be more than one bird there, I was trying to load the shells when another woodcock took off, thats when I started laughing out loud. It was one of those perfect hunting days, I will not soon forget. Thanks again for everyones comments.