Nellie's first woodcock!!

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Nellie's first woodcock!!

Post by fox-admin »

Hunted with my son yesterday at Fort Drum home of the 10th Mountain Div. Not often you come across a WWII half track grouse hunting. Nellie made a nice flush and retrieve to hand on a woodcock. Few birds but we moved a few, any day with your son amd dogs is good.
Attachments
20191014_130523.jpg
DSC_0029.JPG
DSC_0036.JPG
Jim Cloninger

Re: Nellie's first woodcock!!

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Nice going, Craig. I love Nellie!
Jim
PS - I love Lucy too. I love all Black Labs!
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Beautiful pictures and what an rewarding experience that must have been. I love hunting woodcock, but I haven't shot one in years. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. (Is that an XE or a DE?) Jeff
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Jeff the gun is my CSMC XE engraved by Richard Roy. I bought the gun new 21 years ago new. I have been very fortunate and traveled extensively with the XE. 50% of the CC is gone on the trigger plate and a deep scratch on the 26" barrels from a fall while woodcock hunting. The woodcock above flushed and I just pulled through it and pulled the trigger. I didn't see the kill because the bird disappeared behind a leafed branch just as I pulled the trigger, actually i thought I missed until Nellie presented me with the bird. No way I would have found the bird without a dog. My son Doug and I were hunting with all three of our Labs. They worked amazingly well with each other and no busted birds. My old girl Lucy (now 9 years old) understands the grouse game and she worked over the best cover like a graduate student. She has many northern Maine grouse and woodcock hunts under her belt. Once labs make a couple of contacts with wild birds they understand the game and hunt the best cover-----how do they know????
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Nice pictures and beautiful dog and gun.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Thank you for sharing this story, my grandkids come over sometimes and I will leave these posts on and they are enjoying reading them. Who knows....
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Very nice Craig,

I'm sure that helps to take the edge off waiting til opening day of ducks this coming Saturday.

Bill
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Craig, that's one of the best photos of a lab I've ever seen. Nice going. I don't want to ruffle any feathers but you are spot on about labs and their ability to do just about any bird hunting task you ask of them. In my humble opinion there is no finer dog to take afield. Good luck on Sat. I'll have two labs working hard in SD on Sat.

Mike Puffer sent me a video of 3-5 inches of snow last week although it will be gone by the time we get there he said it is so wet and muddy that he and his two boys actually walked the standing corn and were jump shooting ducks in the standing water between the rows. This will be an interesting day afield for man and dog. Muck boots to the rescue.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Craig, that's a great story, and to echo Daryl's comment, that is a nice picture of Nellie. Do you have a really good cell phone camera, or do you carry an actual camera with you in the woods?
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Nikon 35mm digital. Although I use my cell phone much more frequently. The newest cell phones do take unbelievable pictures.
Rochester was the home of now diseased and buried Eastman Kodak. Digital photography killed our region but no doubt it is a fantastic technology. In the 70's Kodak employed 60000 and Xerox employed 45000 locally.