Two with the 20

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
DarylC

Two with the 20

Post by DarylC »

A couple of fat Maryland Canadas

It was a beautiful day in Saint Michaels Maryland. It had poured rain for two days over the weekend and Monday was greeted with balmy, clear skies and 50 degrees so not much was expected as far as bird movement.
I was'nt wrong. Nothing flew until 9:30 and when they did they were sky high and headed out to open water. It was'nt until 10:30 or so that three peeled off a large group and pitched in to about 100 stuffers. One of our group has taken the world championship goose calling contest 3 years in a row at the Easton Waterfowl festival and he just sweet talked them in range. That was the hard part. Dropping them at 30yds. was the easy part.
I had wanted for a while to limit out with a 20ga. and today presented the perfect opportunity. As late as yesterday afternoon I located a box of 20ga. Bismuth, 1oz. #5's so the gig was on. I just love this Sterly and it did not let me down.
IMG_0269.JPG
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: Two with the 20

Post by fox-admin »

Nice job Daryl and great looking photo. May be your last gees in a while with the bag being reduced to 1 next year in MD. Lots of work to set up for one goose.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

There's Christmas dinner! Nice...
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

True enough Craig but there is more than a month left this year. The 2nd gen BE I bought from Frank will get the call next time. You know even if it is only one I just love setting up and waiting for the first flight to arrive whether they are ducks or geese, The sun coming up over the edge of the marsh and when they finally commit to the dekes with their wings cupped and legs outstretched. I'm sure you boys at Vanderbilt can relate.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Nice hunt as described my friend and good job posting the pic. It's always good to see what a 20 bore will do "in the hands of a good shot". You surely do well with that 30-incher. Maybe next year we can get a waterfowl gig going somewhere good. I'll try to get some friends together to talk when we're at Hausmanns next year.
Aan
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Wow! Nice shooting Daryl. I'm proud if I knock one down with a 12 gauge. There is no doubt that you are a superb marksman.
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Very well done Daryl.

You sure do some great shooting with that 20 gauge.

Great picture and thanks for posting it.

Jolly
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

1 Canada limit?? In MD?? Ouchhhhh. I bet the outfitters are lovin' that "call?"
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Nice job Daryl!!

When Maryland reduced the limit to one in the early 1980s it was the end of my lease at Bucktown, Dorchester County, MD. Moved west to shooting resident Canadas in Loudoun and Fauquier Counties, Virginia.
Share the knowledge
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

One of my earliest leases was in Bucktown, right off Bucktown road bordering Blackwater NWR. We probably passed each other on the road at some time. When they shut down the season in the mid 90's it wiped out a number of outfitters as will the 1 bird limit next year. But for us regular Joe hunters it actually is a good thing as it opens up properties previously leased to the outfitters for duck, deer and upland hunting by us. IMHO, there are too many outfitters putting a strain on the resource as it is. They drove up the price of leases on the best hunting properties because they could afford the insane prices. Everything comes full circle.
There's always the resident birds with a limit of 5 per day. I can live with that.
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Silvers wrote:Nice hunt as described my friend and good job posting the pic. It's always good to see what a 20 bore will do "in the hands of a good shot". You surely do well with that 30-incher. Maybe next year we can get a waterfowl gig going somewhere good. I'll try to get some friends together to talk when we're at Hausmanns next year.
That sounds like a great idea Frank. Thanks for the compliment but I think at the yardage I was shooting these birds you probably could have done it with a .410. Oh wait.... Fox did'nt make a .410. :D
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

DarylC wrote:
Silvers wrote: Thanks for the compliment but I think at the yardage I was shooting these birds you probably could have done it with a .410. :D
I'm your huckleberry .............that's just my game. :wink:

Nice work with the 20, Daryl. Thanks for posting.

SRH