Difficult conditions in Finger Lakes

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
loggy

Re: Difficult conditions in Finger Lakes

Post by loggy »

Dana had some beautiful guns!
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Brian we do hunt deer. Two big 8's taken yesterday and a big 11 taken with a crossbow. Son Doug missed a chance at a big boy got a case of buck fever.
Jeff we do hunt when the decoy ice in but now there is no way to access the marsh.
Loggy I feel very fortunate to own and hunt with the one gun of Dana's I own. He told we he never shot it in the 35 years he owned it. So i hunt it a few times every year to honor my departed friend.
Woody

Post by Woody »

fox-admin wrote:Brian we do hunt deer. Two big 8's taken yesterday and a big 11 taken with a crossbow. Son Doug missed a chance at a big boy got a case of buck fever.
Jeff we do hunt when the decoy ice in but now there is no way to access the marsh.
Loggy I feel very fortunate to own and hunt with the one gun of Dana's I own. He told we he never shot it in the 35 years he owned it. So i hunt it a few times every year to honor my departed friend.

I can remember when Lockpit was the deer capital of Wayne county for deer numbers!!!!. Now I hear of some nice bucks coming from there.
Last edited by Woody on Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Brian we shot two coyotes yesterday. They are keeping the numbers down significantly.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

I seem to recall you can pour a few gallons of Grape Koolaid on the ice and from the air it appears to be open water. No idea whether this might be urban folklure.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Eric sorry for calling you Brian. I'm a little sleep deprived. Craig
Woody

Post by Woody »

fox-admin wrote:Eric sorry for calling you Brian. I'm a little sleep deprived. Craig
Lol. I’m sort of there too with deer season going.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Craig PM sent.
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

vaturkey wrote:I seem to recall you can pour a few gallons of Grape Koolaid on the ice and from the air it appears to be open water. No idea whether this might be urban folklure.
At our long-ago lease on Skipton Creek off the Wye East River just north of Easton MD, when we would get solid ice for more than 3-4 days, we'd cut a hole just big enough to fit a Tidy Bowl toilet bowl freshener into the ice and stake it in there with a couple of long nails. When the tide rose and fell, the natural flux of the water would spread that ice blue dye out in a big circle, sometimes as much as 60-70 yards, depending on the tidal lift and fall. We would really kill the bluebills streaking up and down the creek; they'd see the dark circle and think it was open water and come right in and over our few decoys we'd set right out near shore on the ice shelf. Cheap and effective compared to the portable generators and marina "Ice Eaters" we had to use on our freshwater ponds! Kevin
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

7-degrees here this morning and a nearby small lake and its marsh are frozen over except for a small area where an old spring house runs into it via an elevated pipe. Drove by there earlier to check a deer stand for our Monday opener and there were about 20 mallats splashing around. I have a blind in the weeds there but our first split on the duck season ended last Saturday. Nice huh? :lol:

frank
Last edited by Silvers on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Mills

Post by Mills »

Things are not good at all down here
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Well winter has come early to central NY. We tried to hunt yesterday in our marsh but the ice was 4" thick after two warmish days. The weather has turned cold and snowy again so we are done for 2019, very disheartening. I look forward to the duck season all year and I only get out 9 times this year. It's going to be a VERY LONG winter with snow on the ground before Thanksgiving. Looking forward to winter clays on Sundays and a trip to Texas in January for a couple of days of wild quail hunting.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Well, they must all be gone to Arkansas. My best friend texted me Monday and said the killed 167 the first 8 days of the season on his land. He's still picking cotton, too, but he can scoot to the Hughes Hole for an hour"s fast gunning and still be back at work in time to start up the cotton picker on time.

He's killing me with these texts. every time he sends one he says "Come on!"...............knowing that I can't leave anytime soon. :cry:

SRH
OH Osthaus

Post by OH Osthaus »

ice boat1 small.jpg
it was a short walk to the limit of the boats progress

as said - disheartening - I had hopes of a formative year for Macallan, my young golden- just not to be
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Where do you hunt ducks, Rick?
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.