Still more S x S Ohio

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
Jeff S

Still more S x S Ohio

Post by Jeff S »

Mr S X S Ohio has provided us with a whole punch of nice pictures to admire. I don't know the details so you guys will have to ask him for specifics. Enjoy the pictures. Jeff
P1020233 resized.jpg
P1020228 resize.jpg
P1020231 resized.jpg
P1020230 resized.jpg
Jeff S

Re: Still more S x S Ohio

Post by Jeff S »

That is a gorgeous gun. Is that a "D" (CSMC)?
SXS ohio

Post by SXS ohio »

Wow...I just caught up with this thread! 1/24/19 Thanks Jeff for posting my pics and I will fill in the blanks. The pictures are from our 2017 Kansas annual rooster runner trip. I have been going out to Hill City Kansas several years and this fall 2019 will be my 10th year. Its a great low cost 6 1/2 days of real wild bird hunting. Its a two man gig and I have a great guy I hunt with. 2017 was a good year we had three dogs total, my Miss Ruby Gordon and his two young Vizsla pointers. We shar the trip expenses and never spend over 800.00 each for the whole 9 day trip!!, and we eat and drink like kings too! The first picture is in the motel, the rooms all have the mirror with a ledge for our trophies. The empty cases are all the ones I have fired. I must admit my shooting has improved over the years. Hunting the wild ones in a wind swept Kansas is a learning curve. My shooting has gone from under 50% to well over that.. headed for 75% on roosters and quail. The hunting rig is a 2016 4runner TRD-PRO, you need a good mud runner for the back roads if you want to be able to get in and out. Mornings are easy as the ground is frozen but by 10:00 am the sun is up and they turn to muck. If it rains or snows with a melt down they can be impassable even with the rooster runner. We hope for dry or frozen solid weather. The shotgun...it is a CSMC Fox, XE-spl 16 two barrel rooster and grouse set. 28" barrels chokes .003/.010 for the grouse woods and set 2# are 29" choked .012/.031 mod/x-full 6lbs-5oz...(-: This is my front line shotgun and always bring a back up...I now have a 1928 SW 30" gun choked .020/.034 I will also use this one on the real windy days as it swings hard, does not stop and reaches out there! Pup is my Gordon setter...she is areal sweet hart. She is a family member and will be 8 on Feb-5th of 2019. She is still a puppy and may never grow up. She still gets excited and bumps birds but we always make up for it during a days hunt. When she has a good point and the bird moves she runs hard to find it. When that happens I call her (FLUSHING Bull Winkle)...she bumps any bird in the area! Her bird hunting just keeps getting better though, she is a tall strong dog that never tires and way too smart for her own good! I'm thinking of a puppy for spring of 2020 and can't decide what setter I want but it will be from a top shelf hunting dog kennel. Northwind Kennels in Wisconsin is a top choice that I'm looking into. I want to spend more time in the grouse woods and you can't have a better grouse dog than a setter...(-: thanks all SXS Ohio
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Ohio, them are some long-tailed roosters! Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.