Out of it's element ........

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
Stan Hillis

Out of it's element ........

Post by Stan Hillis »

Super Foxes were built for water fowling. I know that. That's all mine has ever done under my care, until today. It is absolutely the finest duck gun I've ever used. Thirty-two inch barrels, heavy to help absorb the recoil of big loads, and strong to absorb the same. I was in a quandary this morning. I was invited to a late season dove shoot for this afternoon and had to decide which double to take. My 32" A grade 12 had not been used lately, but the HE, which usually gets hunted on ducks in AR, did not this season, because of low water there, and COVID 19.

So, this morning as I pondered the wheres and heretofores of the doubles in the stable I thought "Well, since the HE couldn't get out for ducks this year why not give her a fling on the dove field?" I've owned this Super for somewhere around 15 years and never used it for anything but ducks ............ until today.

I went 5 for 5, then missed a bird. Then killed three more with one shot each .......... okay, eight for nine. Pretty good. Two doves came from my right, true crossers at about 35 yards. I was using Fiocchi Interceptors in the right barrel (1 oz. spreaders) and Federals in the left, no. 8s, both. The birds looked closer than 35 yards so I pulled a little ways out in front of them and hit the front trigger. Both birds fell dead at the shot, and landed not over 10 feet apart. A true double, and I was 10 for 10! Then, there was a lull in the flights, which gave me time to think. That's a bad thing. The wheels fell off, and I killed a couple more, but with several misses.

Probably my last shoot of the season (tomorrow is the last day of the season and it's supposed to rain all afternoon), but it's been a good late season. I remember an article, probably in DGJ, about "Pop" Headrick using an HE on a dove shoot. Kinda gave me a cozy feeling this afternoon, remembering that.

SRH
Last edited by Stan Hillis on Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff S

Re: Out of it's element ........

Post by Jeff S »

Wonderful story Stan. There is no doubt in my mind that you are an outstanding shot, no matter what gun you are shooting. Thanks for posting the picture.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

It's the Fox, Jeff, it's not me. It went 6 for 6 on ducks in the L 'Anguille River bottoms a few years ago.

What a gun! HE grades are unique "creatures".

SRH
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Stan, great shooting and a well written report. Thanks so much for sharing your day with us. frank
Aan
Stan Hoover

Post by Stan Hoover »

Stan,
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us, that is some great shooting.

I envy you with all your doves, we have doves here in Pa, but you have to figure out where a good spot is or be living right to fill a 15 dove limit.

I've held an HE Super but never pulled the trigger, maybe I just have to pull the trigger on one some day and find out for myself.

all the best,
Stan Hoover
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Stan, I know I'm blessed to live where I do, as far as doves go, and to shoot on as many shoots as I do each year. Dove shooting is a heritage in this immediate area. There are many who could avail themselves of it but don't. I cannot understand that, but have not lost any sleep over it either. :D

Sixty one years of chasing the little grey rockets should have taught me a lot, but I'm afraid I have to relearn some lessons each year. Guns like the HE sure help make chasing them a lot more fun. I'm the only one shooting S X Ss on these shoots. I introduced the HE today to a few guys. Told them it's name was Sledgehammer, and handed it to them. One said that as heavy as it was he understood why I called it Sledgehammer. I told him that wasn't the reason for the name. :wink:

Best, SRH
Last edited by Stan Hillis on Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Stan, never thought about doves and a Super but sounds like you were able to swing that big gun just fine!!
Regards - Foxnut
Stan Hoover

Post by Stan Hoover »

That's awesome Stan,

some people just don't understand why we like these old SXS's, but it just makes the hunt more special in my opinion.

But then again, I'm blamed for thinking old things/ways are way more cool, but who cares, it's all fun.

Stan Hoover
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

i have never had the pleasure to shoulder a HE but am intrigued by all things AH Fox . yours is truly a beauty.i hunt doves with 8.5 lb browning. on my butt on a bucket i like a heavy shotgun . thanks for sharing . all the best 44whiskey