Christmas week Pheasants with new iron

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
Fox20obsessed

Christmas week Pheasants with new iron

Post by Fox20obsessed »

This week I had a few days off with it being the holiday and all...got out to the local gamelands and killed 6 pheasants. Pictured are the four nicest cock-birds, two with my faux c-grade 20, and two with my early second gen A-20 “slim”. If you’ve been following any of my posts you may know I just finished these two and also the sterlingworth 16 (pictured a few weeks ago) in the last year. With that said, this was the first season for all of these 3 guns and I have successfully killed pheasants with all of them. I had a lame season as far as deer hunting goes, but made up for it this last week with some birds....Still no grouse though. Went last week and the road was blocked to access my spot. Next Year.
-Matt
hihaven

Re: Christmas week Pheasants with new iron

Post by hihaven »

Great job with the guns!!
grouse_fan

Post by grouse_fan »

Nice guns! Good shooting!
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Congratulations on the fine birds, also, nice pictures. I especially like the wood on your “C”.
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Well done Matt.

Gotta be a good feeling hunting, successfully, with some of your nice handiwork.

Too bad you couldn't have pursued some grouse.

Yeah, next year.

Jolly
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Wonderful. Pa closed the hunting season to all of us out of staters this year with covid so I couldn't make any late season runs up to the gamelands. I'm guessing some of these must have been snow pheasants which is fantastic.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

A great post Matt and it surely showcases your guns and talent. Thanks for taking the time to post and share.

It also got me to thinking again about our late season in northeast PA and the 19" of snow here at the house and some 30" out where I do most of my bird hunting. I get that local paper and read that the PGC was still going to put out pheasants in the days after Christmas. I can't see how that would work. Probably many of the access roads were plowed but then what for the birds and hunters?

Tom, the PA Non resident travel restriction put the sprags on day hunts here in PA and presumably it applies even to hunting solo in fields and woods. Not sure that makes any sense but what do I know? Though from license plates I see in town and on the roads the restriction seems not to have been widely disseminated. Just sayin. :wink:

frank
Aan
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Silvers wrote:A great post Matt and it surely showcases your guns and talent. Thanks for taking the time to post and share.

It also got me to thinking again about our late season in northeast PA and the 19" of snow here at the house and some 30" out where I do most of my bird hunting. I get that local paper and read that the PGC was still going to put out pheasants in the days after Christmas. I can't see how that would work. Probably many of the access roads were plowed but then what for the birds and hunters?

Tom, the PA Non resident travel restriction put the sprags on day hunts here in PA and presumably it applies even to hunting solo in fields and woods. Not sure that makes any sense but what do I know? Though from license plates I see in town and on the roads the restriction seems not to have been widely disseminated. Just sayin. :wink:

frank
Thanks Frank. With my luck I'd have a law enforcement officer drive by the SGL eating a Twinkie drinking his coffee from Shetz and there's me walking out of the field with a pheasant in my hand 10 feet from the 4 Runner with those Va tags glowing. Life is good. I'm chasing Woodcock in Va.
Fox20obsessed

Post by Fox20obsessed »

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to look and also for the kind words. I really appreciate the commentary. Been a busy year and I was glad to have enough time to give a few guns a “workout.” I’m almost ashamed to admit I was unaware Pa was not letting non-residents hunt the keystone state this year. What an odd year it has been for sure. Bill, Yes hopefully some grouse next season as I am in the works of planning a trip wayy north for brown bombers. No other projects in the works for me at the moment so I’ll be catching up on cleaning/storing all of my deer hunting gear and start prepping for spring gobbler madness. Tom good luck with the woodcock. Jeff thanks for the compliments on the wood, it came from pumpkin mountain. Frank, excellent job and congrats on getting the cover of this last newsletter...fantastic work!
Thanks guys,
-Matt
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Matt,
Nice to see you get to enjoy the guns after all the work you did with them. Must be very satisfying to feel and use the finished product(s) in your hands!! Looks like you shoot them well also!!
Regards - Foxnut
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

very nice pair smallbores.will look for 16 bore. thank you for posting. all the best 44whiskey