Back at it in Pa

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
grouse_fan

Back at it in Pa

Post by grouse_fan »

I was able to get out for my first late season grouse hunt since deer season ended. It was a beautiful day, temps were in the high twenties and there were a few snow flurries.
I put in about 3 hours and had 13 flushes. I shot at 6 birds and was able to connect on one. I should have had my two bird limit, but I seemed to be fumbling with the tiggers, which usually it's a problem. I guess two weeks plus without shooting didn't help.
Attachments
20201215_131336_copy_1209x1612.jpg
TOOL MAN

Re: Back at it in Pa

Post by TOOL MAN »

So that's what they look like. Thirteen flushes? I couldn't match that in a pay toilet!
Last pat I flushed in N.E. CT (bow hunting) was back in 2008. Would always hear them drumming while fly fishing on a few of my favorite streams. Sadly, the woods have gone silent. What a loss........ :(

PS---I suspect based on what's on our doorstep, hunting might get a bit tougher this weekend???
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
grouse_fan

Post by grouse_fan »

TOOL MAN wrote:So that's what they look like. Thirteen flushes? I couldn't match that in a pay toilet!
Last pat I flushed in N.E. CT (bow hunting) was back in 2008. Would always hear them drumming while fly fishing on a few of my favorite streams. Sadly, the woods have gone silent. What a loss........ :(

PS---I suspect based on what's on our doorstep, hunting might get a bit tougher this weekend???
Yes, the numbers are also down in many areas of Pa, its a shame. I'm lucky to live in an area of the state where there is good habitat and decent bird numbers.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Great picture and congratulations on the fine bird. Flushing 13 birds tells me that you have a good spot, and you know how to hunt. You have my admiration. Jeff
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Thanks Fan for taking the time to share. My flush rate this season is well below yours and in the first split I attributed it to lack of any concentrated food sources. Though I did score three grouse along with 4 cock birds on opportunity. I was really looking forward to our last split that as you know started on Monday but the 18-24" of snow predicted later today is likely to put a squash on that. The areas I mostly hunt north of home may be outside the storm track and hopefully receive a lot less snow. Time will tell. Well anyway, best of luck to you and your Lab partner if you can get out hunting over the next week. frank
Aan
grouse_fan

Post by grouse_fan »

Jeff S wrote:Great picture and congratulations on the fine bird. Flushing 13 birds tells me that you have a good spot, and you know how to hunt. You have my admiration. Jeff
Thanks!
grouse_fan

Post by grouse_fan »

Silvers wrote:Thanks Fan for taking the time to share. My flush rate this season is well below yours and in the first split I attributed it to lack of any concentrated food sources. Though I did score three grouse along with 4 cock birds on opportunity. I was really looking forward to our last split that as you know started on Monday but the 18-24" of snow predicted later today is likely to put a squash on that. The areas I mostly hunt north of home may be outside the storm track and hopefully receive a lot less snow. Time will tell. Well anyway, best of luck to you and your Lab partner if you can get out hunting over the next week. frank
Thanks! Unfortunately the snow is piling up here in McKean County, already more then they were calling for. Hopefully, I will still be able to get in a few more hunts, but it maybe with out the dog.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Anyone for PA grouse hunting in the next few days? Here's the scene at my Jeep with snowplow this morning. Our second split grouse season ends one week hence. :(

frank
12.17.20 Jeep.jpg
Aan
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

I believe based on what I saw on the weather channel, and with the forecast for continued cold, that Grouse are going to be pretty safe for the second split in Pa. I saw where North Central Pa in some areas got well over 2 feet of the white stuff. We had 18" here in Va a couple of years ago and things were shut down for several days. Tough on people and really tough on wildlife, although Grouse will be better off then deer. Good luck to all my friends in Pa. PS. We have 4" of snow and a half inch of ice on top of that snow here in No Va. No walk in the park either. I have friends headed to Arizona the day after Christmas to chase quail for a month and they can't wait to head west.
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

Binghamton NY had 41 inches on the ground and still snowing as of 8AM this morning. I can only imagine what our traditional grouse hunting area, about 35 miles north of there, got. Kevin
grouse_fan

Post by grouse_fan »

I only have between 8 and 9" in my yard here in McKean Co. Just east of us in Potter they got hit with alot more, heard up to 20".