Cody Firearms Museum Records Office

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Jim McKee

Cody Firearms Museum Records Office

Post by Jim McKee »

Hello Mr. McKee,

Thank you for your contacting the Cody Firearms Museum Records Office. We prepare factory letters on Winchester, Marlin and LC Smith, Ithaca, and coming soon – Savage Arms, Stevens, and A.H. Fox.

A factory letter is the official report of the information contained in the original company records which the Museum cares for. The contents of each letter varies with each firearm but typically include manufacturing dates and configuration information on the firearm as it was in the factory. Customer information is rarely available as shipping and sales records no longer exist for most models.

Warehouse information would indicate a firearms original configuration, SNA would only be the date of manufacture.

The serial number provided for your Ithaca seems really high, perhaps a second look and a photo of the firearm and serial number may assist in determining whether we have a record available.

We are awaiting the availability of our newly acquired Savage, Stevens and Fox records. For Cody Firearms Museum members, we are happy to provide the informal searches – with the turn-around being approximately 3 business days.

Cody Firearms Museum membership starts at $150 per year. Members receive a number of free serial number searches and large discounts on factory letters as well as the option to purchase letter and search packages. Please see the attached membership brochure for more information.

Current factory letter fee schedule:
Winchester/Marlin/L.C. Smith/Ithaca/*Savage/*Fox $75 (non-member), $45 (CFM member)
Winchester/*Stevens SNA only (date only): $40 (non-member), $25 (CFM member)
Winchester Model 21 with Order Sheet: $120 (non-member), $90 (CFM member)
Winchester Model 21, no Order Sheet: $90 (non-member), $60 (CFM member)

*Savage, Stevens, and Fox factory letters cannot be provided at this time.

Letters are typically mailed within four weeks of placing and paying an order.

Thank you, again, for your interest. I hope we can help you in your search for information.

Angela Bertalot
Firearms Records Assistant
p: 307.578.4109
e: angelab@centerofthewest.org
Stan Hoover

Re: Cody Firearms Museum Records Office

Post by Stan Hoover »

Hello Jim,

I’m curious how late your Ithaca is? I believe that the records Cody presently has are for the Baker, Crass, Minier, Lewis, and Flues models. When I last talked with Walt, he was still in possession of the NID records.

Stan Hoover
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Many years ago, when I contacted Walter about my No. 4E 16-gauge that by the serial number chronology dates to 1941, he replied that he didn't have records that late. He had provided me with info on many of my earlier NIDs.
Share the knowledge
Jim McKee

Post by Jim McKee »

My Ithaca is from 1973, I believe according to Frank Conley's The American Single Barrel Trap Gun.
Grade 5E SBT Serial #240405626.

Is there any possibility that Cody may have records for any of the missing AH Fox records?
Thanks!
Jim
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Is there any possibility that Cody may have records for any of the missing AH Fox records?
99 44/100 percent sure the answer to that is a NO!

It amazes me that any of the A.H. Fox records survived all the moves they've made.

Apparently no records have survived or were moved from Wayne & Bristol Streets to the 4600 block of N. 18th Street in late 1906.

Next 1926/7 move to the "new" factory in the 4700 block of N. 18th Street,

Then 1929/30 move to Utica, NY.

Then 1946/7 move to Chicopee Falls, Mass.

Finally 1961 move to Westfield, Mass.

How they didn't hit the dumpster in all of that is pretty amazing.
Share the knowledge