Ammo advice

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Fin2Feather

Ammo advice

Post by Fin2Feather »

I'm planning one more west Kansas run for pheasants before season's end. I'm typically a 16ga guy, but I thought a 12 might be more appropriate on those late season roosters. I have a nice early A 12 that I'd like to shoot. I looked at the RST site but they don't have an available load that seems just right: I'm thinking 2-1/2"-ers in 5 shot, but everything they have available is a little slower FPS than I think I want. Any experience/suggestions, etc.? Thanks...
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: Ammo advice

Post by fox-admin »

Pattern density and shot placement are way more important than velocity from my experience. Many believe lower velocity patterns better. I never go larger 6 shot for wild pheasants. Most crippling is a result of a poor shot not shot size.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

My typical pheasant load is 16ga, 1oz at under 1200fps; they do quite well. I don't know if you've ever hunted wild Kansas pheasants in January but if not I can tell you they're a bit of a "different animal". Longer shots, many on going away birds. It's obvious that shot placement is important; it always is, but you often don't get the chance to place your shot as well as you'd like in this kind of hunting. In my 12 I'm thinking 1-1/8oz of 5's at around 1200fps would be just about right on these birds. I haven't found anything close in a 2-1/2" shell though. Thought someone might have some ideas.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Hi Phil, If your 16 is in good condition, I recomend Kent Tungston Matrix 1 1/4 oz. #5's. My favorite on real wild pheasants like you are talking about.
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Why 2 1/2"? Gun has to be VERY early to need 2 1/2" shells. 2 5/8" chamber can shoot 2 3/4".
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Mike, just have always shot the 2-1/2" RST's in my old guns, but good point. Guess I need to look at some lighter load 2-3/4".
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Phil, If you don't want to use your 16 Ga., I recommend Kent Tungston Matrix 1 1/4 oz. #5's in 12 Ga.
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Jim, they're a little stiffer than I prefer to shoot in my old guns, but thanks.